Why can't I lay bricks ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :),

Once again, as a keen DIY'er, I've tried to do something as simple as brick up a doorway and I've been thwarted by bricks that don't want to lay, and mortar that doesn't want to stick to the bloody bricks, lol !! o_O

I'd spent all morning and half the afternoon toothing out the doorway where I could, and using a wall starter kit where I couldn't, and thought I'd have enough time to brick up the outer leaf, as this would make the house secure. I'd also spent ages cleaning up some old bricks from the offshot kitchen I've just demolished, so the bricks for the doorway were the right size and colour to blend in.

I can turn my hand to most things, but I've always struggled with bricks and mortar. I've recently watched a million and fifteen video's on how to lay bricks, mix and lay mortar, and use a trowel properly, and I went into this (relatively) full of confidence. But within half an hour I'd given up on the trowel because the mortar wasn't sticking to the bricks, and I was using my hands to put the mortar in place !! :(.

Why can't I lay bloody bricks, why won't the mortar stick to the bloody bricks.......it's sooooo frustrating, lol !! o_O

(I can't take the risk of bodging this, as eventually most of this bricked up doorway is going to be a column supporting an RSJ as part of my house extension, so I'll have to get a pro in)

Sponsored Links
Is your mix too wet/dry?

The first time I ever laid bricks, was to remove a door frame and brick it up, with the bricks visible - that 30 years ago. I 'toothed' every layer, reused some original salvaged bricks from the house and the finished job is completely indistinguishable from the rest of the wall, even if I pointed it out to you. I used nothing more that a paper scraper, a straight piece of wood, a lump hammer, sand and cement and a coal shovel to mix with.

How are you mixing the mortar, and how long for? Are you using additive?

How are you mixing the mortar, and how long for? Are you using additive?

Yep, I went to the far end of a fart to try and get the mortar right. Did about a three and a half to one mix with an additive, and shovelled it for ages until I thought it looked like it was supposed to. In the past I've added that little bit too much water towards the end making it sloppy, so didn't want to risk that, but I made sure it wasn't too stiff. It looked just like the mortar in all the YouTube vid's I've watched......apart from it didn't bloody stick !! ;)

Sponsored Links
I think you need to make a video of your technique. Sounds bizarre. 3.5 to 1 sounds a bit strong by the way.

I think you need to make a video of your technique. Sounds bizarre. 3.5 to 1 sounds a bit strong by the way.

I did 3.5 -1 as eventually it's going to be supporting an RSJ and wanted it nice and strong. Maybe that's part of the problem, but I can't see a 4-1 making that much difference ?? Would a 4-1 be more workable ??

I use a plaster (heavy duty) paddle mixer nowadays for small batches of mortar. Easier than a shovel and gets it a bit more aerated/creamy more easily. I know there’s probably a danger of over mixing it so don’t go too OTT.
My moneys on your mix being too dry, despite you thinking it feels good with the shovel, it’s not so easy on the towel. Can’t think of any other reason why it would be hard to work with/not stick to the bricks.
When you’re watching the YouTube vids, really pay attention to the consistency of the mix, it’s pretty light and creamy, hardly resists the trowel going through it but firm enough to still maintain its shape.

No, the mix ratio won’t affect workability.

Edit - this all assumes you’re using a splash of plasticiser (or fairy)

Dont feel bad. I like to think I'm a pretty competent diyer, and have watched my father in law lay lots of bricks (get him to do the neat bits on show like steps) but almost every time I try to lay them myself, I cock it up.

One thing I've learnt is the level of water is key, as mentioned, and mix your plactisiser in with the water in a bucket first, before adding it. It's a little thing, but it does make a difference

I use a plaster (heavy duty) paddle mixer nowadays for small batches of mortar. Easier than a shovel and gets it a bit more aerated/creamy more easily. I know there’s probably a danger of over mixing it so don’t go too OTT.
My moneys on your mix being too dry, despite you thinking it feels good with the shovel, it’s not so easy on the towel. Can’t think of any other reason why it would be hard to work with/not stick to the bricks.
When you’re watching the YouTube vids, really pay attention to the consistency of the mix, it’s pretty light and creamy, hardly resists the trowel going through it but firm enough to still maintain its shape.

No, the mix ratio won’t affect workability.

Edit - this all assumes you’re using a splash of plasticiser (or fairy)

Yeah, I think this is the issue. I thought I was being so careful getting the mortar right, but it was probably a bit stiff. I didn't want to go the other way and get it sloppy, as it's just a waste. Although I thought it looked like it was supposed to........it wasn't what I would call "aerated and creamy", lol !! It's soooo frustrating when you think you can do something, but you really can't, and there's definitely a skill to doing it ;)

Like everyone above, its the water in the mix that's giving you grief. Yes mix plasticiser with the water first (do 5 gallons water, that way you're less likely to have too much Feb in the mix cos the mix ratio is tiny). Good starting point (assuming your sand is dry) is the same volume of water as cement, mix at that & then test it, if its too dry then add small splashes of water & remix. The more you do, the easier you'll find getting the mix right...and do be gentle with the water, it is so easy to have the mix nearly right, chuck in a big splash & you end up with cement soup (v messy to use).

For small jobs now I just mix little batches in a builders bucket (loads less waste), and don't despair, it is a learned skill (you can read and watch all you like but until you do it you'll not get it right). If you've got space in the garden, build a test wall (only 3 or 4 courses- once you're up to 4 then take it down & knock the muck off the bricks while it is still damp). Yes it'll cost you a few quid in cement and sand but you'll get better

Well.......I've had a brickie I know in today, and I now know why I couldn't do it myself. The gulf between a keen DIY'er and a proper tradesman is huuuuuuge !! ;)

Because it's eventually going to be supporting a couple of RSJ's he had more of it toothed out and his mortar mix was a joy to behold, lol !! ;). And it took him a full day to do it, there's no way I could have done what he did.

Moral of the story, know your limits.......and maximum respect to proper tradesmen (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back