Easy way of getting motar between bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I am inserting a course of bricks between a new lintel and the existing wall above (supported by acrows). Putting mortar on the lintel and then beding the bricks in is easy enough but I'm having difficulty filling the joint between the tops of the new bricks and the bottom of the existing wall. The fact that the old wall is built from frogged bricks laid frog down does not help and the course I am inserting is a header course (it's a 9 inch solid wall). I've tried trying to push mortar in with a trowel or trying to use a bit of 6mm ply to push it into the joint but most of the mortar ends up on the floor and it seems to take ages, like 10 mins per brick to properly fill the joint.
Is there any easy solution to this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are you using 2 trowels? 1 trowel "face down" to hold your mortar in your left hand and a second trowel (pointing trowel) in your right hand to feed the mortar into the joints? Make sure your mix isn't too wet - you shouldn't lose any on the floor using this method as you can offer up your loaded trowel and feed it straight to where you need to point/fill using the second trowel ;) .

The above assumes you're right handed.

First you fill the frogs as much as possible. Then you put mortar on top of the bricks before inserting them - some will slide off, but most should remain.

The mortar needs to be semi dry, not runny

You should also be packing with slate, which will reduce the need for mortar

Use of a finger trowel to pack the mortar in nice and tight is handy too. Simply get some mortar on your bricklaying trowel and push it into the gap using the finger trowel.

Sponsored Links
slate's a good idea, another tip, roll up lengths of newspaper tuck it in 10mm, fill from the other side with semi-dry 1-3 mortar untill tight, remove newspaper and fill remaining 10mm, full bed, job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back