Mortar in the cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built my inner block wall and am now doing the outer brick wall.

I am up 3 courses and i am getting mortar in the cavity, even though i am careful. I really need to place less mortar on the bricks, so when i tap down not much will squeeze out.

Is there anything i can do to stop the excess mortar falling down ? Would i trowel the mortar just over the centre line to the back, so there is less mortar at the back of the brick. When i tap down the excess will push to fill this gap, but not down the cavity ?

Can i make something to sit behind the lower course so it traps the mortar. I was thinking maybe i could use some sponges.

Any tips appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could use cavity battens, or run the trowel over the back at an angle so it chamfers the bed in slightly, or make some coring holes at the base and clean out every night at close of play.

Sponsored Links
Oh yes of course. I have some cavity bats, so could try that. Cheers
Cavity battens are lengths of timber such as 2x1 with wire attached. You lay them on the wall ties and then used the wires to pull them up with any mortar droppings on top.

Yes. You need pieces of batten that fit the cavity, drill a couple of holes in them and put some stiff wire through. The wire need to be long enough to pull the battens out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back