Poor brickwork and bearing for existing lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have knocked a small extension down to make way for a new one although it's revealed a concerning broken support/brickwork under an existing lintel which bridges the opening between the house and extension. This bearing is only about 100mm.

I was considering, acrow propping the lintels, building up a column (just one brick deep) under the two lintels (260mm wide), so about 30 courses of vertical brick and tying it into the existing internal wall with screw in wall starters. This should give about 200mm support under it. Replace the broken bricks where necessary of course!

Questions:

1. Is it best done in brick, breeze block (internal wall currently breeze block), or concrete block? Does it matter?
2. Any problems building the 30 brick courses in a day?
3. The width of column is 260mm so i'd have to cut a lot of bricks to stagger the brick on alternate courses. What's best stagger pattern, something like 100mm + 150mm bricks (not great overlap) or 70mm + 180mm (better overlap)?
3. Any other suggestions on the best way to do this?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_5932.JPG
    IMG_5932.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_5933.JPG
    IMG_5933.JPG
    438.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5970.JPG
    428.8 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Just rebuild the broken bit.

A wall starter is useless for bonding a pier to a wall. You'll need to bond the two properly if loading has to be transferred between the two.

Unless the pier needs to be that width, if rebuilding, build it to work bricks or blocks. Or both.

You don't need a 200mm bearing if that's what you are referring to.

[QUOTE="^woody^, post: 4170208, member: 37821"

You don't need a 200mm bearing if that's what you are referring to.[/QUOTE]

Cheers.

I didn't think 200mm is needed, but thought 100mm wasn't very good! I thought the bearing had to be 150mm, but more worried that the bricks below have broken/crumbled like they have, will it not do it again unless there is more support? I think the original extension was done in 90's, so it's stood that long!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back