Re-bricking between floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly happy new year! well in a few hours at least.

My issue is that i've just installed an RSJ downstairs in a supporting wall. The first floor joists run perpendicular to the said wall. To support i've a scaff board with acrows on one side of wall. Scaff board is pretty close to RSJ to pick up the joists from the neighbouring room as only a slight overhang (approx 6'').
When installing the RSJ i really wanted to try and keep all of the bricks that were between each pair of joists however due to crumbly mortar they all came out. Each gap had 2 courses of brick between joists which link the upstairs bedroom wall. RSJ and pad stones all in and sorted.
Tonight i've tried putting the bricks between joists back in and it's been - well a disaster!. My approach was to mortar up both bricks, lift them up with mortar on top and then hold them in position with wooden wedges so i could tuck point / pack the bottom mortar joint onto the RSJ. There was too much disturbance and i wasn't happy that the upper most mortar bed had engaged the upstairs wall.
I know people might say to pack with mortar and then hammer in slate but again the issue would be movement.
Ideally i'd want some kind of expanding clamp which could push the bricks up and hold them whilst i fill underneath. I might be able to reverse everything and build up as normal off the RSJ and pack the top mortar joint but it'll be awkward since its in line with upstairs floor boards and difficult access from acrow side.

Any ideas anyone? this must be a common issue. Am i going about this all wrong? I am an amateur after all!

Many thanks

Damo

Sponsored Links
Not sure I quite understand but when I did that kind of thing I bedded the brick and filled on top afterwards then pointed. Trying to fill under a loose brick sounds like a pain.
Is the problem no access to the top joint? Even squishing it up you'll need to tool it to make sure it's filled properly.

Hi John, thanks for reply. Yes I can just about get access to top course. It's prob 1/4 obstructed by upstairs floor boards which if I stop being lazy I could pull up if needed. Think I was trying to make things easy but made them worse - that's how you learn I guess.
I'll update on progress

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back