Drying out a damp internal brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Been a bit of serial poster on these forums lately. Everyone has been very helpful so really appreciate it.

My next problem I need to deal with is an internal load bearing brick wall which since we have moved in has been coated with a thick layer of masonry paint. I have been advised to get it off to let the wall breathe & not trap moisture and will be starting that soon.

The bottom of the wall is very damp and I can only assume the rest of the wall is too.

My question is - once I have removed the paint & back to bare brick (as best as I can anyway), how long should I leave it to dry? I probably want to re-paint it with a breathable clay-based paint as I'm not confident I can restore it fully.

Also, from what I can see the mortar between the bricks is quite loose, almost crumbling. Presumably from years of being wet. Any recommendations here? Shall I get them re-pointed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The bottom of the wall is very damp

your first step is to find the leak and repair it.

Concrete floor, I suppose?

Is there a pressure gauge on the boiler?

Have you got a water-meter?

How sharp is your hearing?

Hi JohnD

Sorry, should have mentioned that with the help of a surveyor we (think) we have identified the source of the damp. His opinion was a combination of a faulty chimney (flaunching and another bit I can't remember the name of) in addition to condensation. Getting those fixed next week.

Not concrete floor but timber joists. Don't have a water meter and hearing ain't too bad.

late at night, when all is quiet, unplug the fridge, turn off the boiler, and sit in the kitchen. Get your assistant to turn the outdoor stopcock off, then on again, and repeat.

The sound of a pipe leak is almost imperceptible white noise, but with good hearing you will notice when it stops and starts. Or recruit a young person.

You can also press an Engineers Stethoscope to the pipes.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

Can you post some photos of the damp patches, with something to show scale? Also stand back and photograph the whole wall.

Lift some floorboards. Stick your head down and have a look and a sniff.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks JohnD

Also getting our laminate flooring replaced so will use that opportunity to lift and check under the floorboards.

Back to my original question, thinking ahead...assuming everything is sorted, how to dry the damp bricks etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back