Bricks: render first or bonding and skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Two questions for you fine folks:

1) I've got a bare internal brick wall, solid with no damp, on a 1930's house. Am I ok to PVA then give it a coating of bonding followed by two of multi or should I be rendering it first then two coats of multi? I've read about hygroscopic salts and that rendering first is the only way to avoid the brickwork showing through.

2) I also have a chimney to cover. Although the fire has a >98% chance of never being used, the missus would like to be able to use it if she so wishes...I'm looking at a lime render mix, but will the finish be rough as old boots and look odd against the rest of the plastered walls in the room? Should I render right up to the ceiling or just immediately around the fire itself - if so, how do you blend the render/plaster to make a seemless join?

Thanks all,

Nick

PS I'm well aware that rendering is much harder than plastering and the strong likelihood is that whatever route I take, I'll end up chipping it all off anyway and getting someone in to do it properly, but I want to have a go - I'll never learn unless I try.

Sponsored Links
Bonding and finish will be fine, including the chimney breast.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I thought plaster on a chimney was a definite no-no? Or will it be ok because I'm not likely to use it very often?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back