bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, can anyone answer this for me, I am getting many different answers, can I use reclaimed bricks from a non supporting wall to build a pier, the pier is to be 14x14 x8foot, to support a10 inch beam holding bathroom joist, that is all it will support. cheers

Sponsored Links
is i holding a single joist or do you mean all the bathroom joists ? regarding your bricks just because the old wall was not load bearing does not mean that they are unsuitable for a load bearing one (unless they are those horrible hollow pot things from the 60s and 70s).

hi MIKRIC sorry I wasnt too clear there, there are 6 joist on that beam, b4 we put akros to support .the beam was only on 4 inch brickwork, that was seperating kitchen from back room, hope this makes sense to you, thank you for your reply.
ps the bricks are a solid red stock.

Hard to say really ,have a word with your building control officer (i take it you have involved them ) :!:

Sponsored Links
hi mikric, thanks for asking about building reg fellow, just to make sure we phoned him this morning and his reply was, go ahead, the beam was only supported by 4 inch, now going to be 14 inch , with rebar and concrete centre, so once again thanks for concern. jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back