Brickwork disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we had a coal shed knocked down which was tied in to our kitchen wall. Then we've had a bifold door put in. At the time we planned to render the brick, but now we've decided it would look tacky and out of character for the old house. The builders have done a really rough job of the brickwork probably because they were told we would render and because they've rushed the job. Now we're left with an uneven messy bodged up wall, how can we fix it? I just want it to look normal! thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 1,154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,025
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 988
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,019
Sponsored Links
Erm that is a mess - even if it was going to be rendered there are bricks the wrong way round. Is there a Steel Lintel above the bifolds as there should be but it doesn't look like there is.

The only way it can be fixed is to be taken down and rebuilt - otherwise Render it but I wouldn't be happy rendering that even as render needs a solid surface or it will just crack.

yeah seconded on the lintel, it looks odd. Do you recall any kind of beam going in above the doors? I think its going to need to be rendered.. you could get a nice smooth render done though.

Let's play 'Spot the Lintel'.

& the rules are : muppet diy'ers are not allowed to enter.

Sponsored Links
So we had a coal shed knocked down which was tied in to our kitchen wall. Then we've had a bifold door put in. At the time we planned to render the brick, but now we've decided it would look tacky and out of character for the old house. The builders have done a really rough job of the brickwork probably because they were told we would render and because they've rushed the job. Now we're left with an uneven messy bodged up wall, how can we fix it? I just want it to look normal! thanks

That wall is just crying out to be rendered.

Even as a muppet DIYer I think I could have done a better job on the brickwork than that.

And I can't see a lintel either.

Gerrembacktodoitagain.

Let's play 'Spot the Lintel'.

& the rules are : muppet diy'ers are not allowed to enter.

Not sure I get the point here - especially as that looks like a single brick wall i.e. there isn't a cavity so I would expect to see something!

If you are happy with the structural bearing then you could always get some brick slips and clad it to a better finish

If you are happy with the structural bearing then you could always get some brick slips and clad it to a better finish
That's definitely probably the best solution in the circumstances, and there are some really nice ones on the market now, but I'd be very unhappy with builders leaving it like that in the first place. Nice dressing gown by the way :)

The post is from last october.

I dont think that the OP was telling the full story - my two pee is on that they did it themselves and panicked when they saw what they had done, and were later informed about lintels.

Oh fck me LOL sorry had to laugh, i advertised for a bricky on My builder, this guy turned up all confident quoted me a reasonable price to build a brick pillar x2 for a oak gate.
Day1 got home from work, first pillar built i put my level up against it, seriously about 10% of the bubble was in the middle. I pushed it all down it was so ****. Told him to rebuild it. Some scary people out there diy and proffessional. Hope the OP got this sorted it's a disaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back