Brickwork Issues on New Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have recently bought a new build and had a snag inspection done. Have been advised the brickwork on one side is out by 18mm, I believe the acceptable deviation is 8mm.

I have a meeting with the site manager next week where I will bring this up.

In the meantime thought would ask on the significance of the deviation, is it something to worry about and would it have any bearing if I were to sell the house in the future?

also anyone got any experience of approaching a builder with anything similar and what was the outcome? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've never bought a new build, but if I did, I'd want everything sorting.

Ideally there wouldn't be anything wrong, but if there was I'd want it doing.

If the deviation is 18mm, (I presume from the roof to ground), and the permitted deviation is 8mm then yes you may well have a problem if you come to sell at a future date. It may also cause you problems when you are living there as the wall may start to 'lean' out even more over time.
I'm not a builder so I don't know what the remedy is but worst case scenario in my head would be the wall has to be taken down to where it is within limits and then built up again correctly.
If left and you come to sell at a future date it may be picked up on a survey and reduce the price to cover rectification before the sale.
As for approaching the builder, show him your snaggers report and simply ask what he intends to do about it. Theoretically it should not have been signed off by the Building Control until this was sorted.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back