Is this a bad brickwork/foundation?

Rocks in the cement sounds like the old trick of throwing in bricks to pad out insufficient concrete. I'm inclined to get someone independant in to asses the work before you let them go much further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
if it was you, would take off some money for the bad brickwork? (assuming you could) or just ignore it?

Brickwork can be very forgiving. It may be poorly built and look bad, but structurally sound.

Alternatively, any poor work could manifest itself in movement or dampness in the future.

If you have paid grade A prices but got grade E quality, then perhaps an adjustment in the price is warranted. But the issue then is are you going to live with the grade E work or get it rectified.

If you just think that you should have some money back because of quality then you could always ask. The builder could always say no though.

If you think that the work is substandard and needs to be corrected then that's a different, and potentially more serious issue, and it won't be just about the money.

Covering a beam with cement won't stop it rusting, it'll encourage rust. paint might, or keeping it within the heated envelope of the house would. No idea how they normally do ground beams, I have googled and apparently it's a real thing!

He said he would put a layer of cement around it, should that be okay?
No, if there was not an already agreed protection route, it should have been encased in concrete which is impossible to do now.
By the looks of it you have a cowboy builder.

Sponsored Links
Thank everyone so much for their feedback and time.

I have to pay £30,000 for this, I'm withholding £5,000 for the last payment. (30k including the bathroom, toilet, kitchen)

We did a ring beam not to damage the roots of the big trees in the back garden, the build is 3m away from the big trees

I told the builders I don't want a "cosmetic" job, we trusted them because we saw his builders working very professionally on another project, but I guess it was probably his own home and we thought we were going to get the same quality of work.

I saw these blocks seem to have no mortar between them?

Am I within my rights to take some money away from the final £5,000 from this work?
I really don't know how they came up with 30k for a shed??
If he is doing a kitchen bathroom and other work as welll then this is an all in one quote but still excessive.
Like I said you can get a cowboy expensive builder as well as a cheap one . For a double garage of size 18ft(5.0by 20ft(6m) below 30m2 BCO guidelines I was quoted £5200( without doors/windows material cost incase you guys want to be precise).A shed would be similar price if not less.
For 30k -40k you can get a 2 storey extension.
My builder isn't the best but he does comply with my requests with a bit of haggling. He has agreed to re-soil some of the top soil in my garden where it's deep all free of charge as he saves on skips.

Uhmm @Adam68 the last time I looked 30 or 40 does not look like 50.
So I speak from the truth mate.
Also a 13ft extension uhmm it's a bit much for £50k, I'd do it for about £15k.

Uhmm @Adam68 the last time I looked 30 or 40 does not look like 50.
So I speak from the truth mate.
Also a 13ft extension uhmm it's a bit much for £50k, I'd do it for about £15k.
A 13ft 2 storey side extension was max allowed and it cost 50k. Most std extensions 3m would be around 30-40k. Please don't misquote my words I don't change numbers for the fun of it.

Please don't misquote my words I don't change numbers for the fun of it.
For 30k -40k you can get a 2 storey extension.

I bet you can my relative had a 2 storey 13ft extension for 50k

How am I miss quoting, you said you can get an extension for £30k-£40k and then backed this up with a price of £50k...

Uhhhh?!?!?!?!11

I am not sure if you are an idiot or just trolling.

How am I miss quoting, you said you can get an extension for £30k-£40k and then backed this up with a price of £50k...

Uhhhh?!?!?!?!11

I am not sure if you are an idiot or just trolling.
The second quote lists the size of the extension if u look closely or did u miss that.

The second quote lists the size of the extension if u look closely or did u miss that.
And?
You did not define any spec with the other quote either.

I can build a plane for 4p or buy an f15 for 7 million....

And?
You did not define any spec with the other quote either.
Ok maybe not but I said how much it cost someone who actually had a 13ft one done. The first was a ballpark figure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back