Brickwork to support 3.3m garage opening?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my 2 storey side extension will have a 3.3m metre garage opening, centre of the 5.5m width.

I've assummed a Catnic lintel with 150mm both sides would be adequate (planning to give Catnic the drawings and ask them to check the SWL).

Haven't discussed any pillers or anything with the brickie - should I?
Inner leaf will be 100m block and outer leaf 100m facing brick.

Thanks
Mike

PS. Sorry if this hijacked another question - it's one big learning curve!

Sponsored Links
Its less hijacking its more it adds confusion, as the original poster of the thread may confuse comments on your post with his own etc etc..

Anyways, your be lucky to get a catnic to work but we can try, need a few more bits of info first.
2 storey extension, so bedroom over garage?
Do the floor joists span onto onto the opening?
Do the roof truss/joists span onto the opening?
What construction is first floor (conc/timber)?
Again 3.3m is a strange opening size for a garage door have you a door to suit this?
Pitched, gable ended, flat roof?

- Bedroom over garage
- Joists will most likely span onto opening wall (opposite direction is same span width, except for an extra 90cm on the front and back due to 30cm recess - building around an inglenook)
- Roof joists will span onto the opening
- First floor is timber
- Sectional garage door standardish (1.5 garage width)
- Hipped roof

Thanks
Mike

Ok few more questions,
what cavity thickness?
what is the dimension from front to back of extension/garage?
and what is the overall height of the brickwork walls?

Sponsored Links
Ok:

- Cavity 75mm (making wall 275mm total)
- Garage is 5.7m between inner walls on ground floor and 4.3m in the bedroom above. A ubeam is installed at first floor level to keep bedroom in line with existing building and the garage below is a little wider with a lean to roof at the first floor level.
- 5.2m from ground level at front of garage to wall plate level

Thanks

Your looking at an L6/75 lintel by IG the loadings are pretty close to maximum allowable, i would advice getting the engineer who specified the U-Beam to look at it and give you some advice as it may require a steel section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back