Bridge from old meter to new CU. 25mm SWA.

...particularly when there is as much space for them as there is in that CU.
It's an EAD11R, specifically for RCBO installs. Took a bit of effort to source, but definitely worthwhile finding one :)
Definitely - I'm not sure I've ever seen one with quite that amount of space.
...but I bought an extra 6A RCBO by mistake, so used it rather than bother sending it back :)
Fair enough - but I think I might have kept it as a spare!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It really is a bit naughty. Individual BCOs should really not be allowed to 'require' things over and above what can be justified electrically, particularly when advising (for a good price!) someone who they know probably isn't confident enough to argue.
Are you assuming that the BCO was himself knowledgeable?
On the contrary. I suppose I was giving the BCO some 'benefit of the doubt' and assuming that he 'did not know any better'. If he knew that he was 'requiring'/advising something beyond what can be justified electrically, that would be even worse!

Kind Regards, John

On the contrary. I suppose I was giving the BCO some 'benefit of the doubt' and assuming that he 'did not know any better'. If he knew that he was 'requiring'/advising something beyond what can be justified electrically, that would be even worse!

Kind Regards, John

To be fair to the chap, he's not seen the site and I didn't really give him much to go on. He was just advising me over the phone and I think he was probably just assuming the worst case.

I was waiting for someone to mention that :) I don't think it was allowed, so I'm going to have to address that somehow. I guess it's a junction box right outside the CU, with bell wire running into it, and 1mm T&E running into the CU. How do people normally get from a bell transformer out of the CU?
As for 'how people normally do it', I suspect that a high proportion do what you've done, even though bell wire is usually only 'rated' for up to about 50V (the absence of sheathing obvioulsy doesn't matter within a CU)! What you propose sounds to be the most obvious 'proper' (and compliant) solution.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
To be fair to the chap, he's not seen the site and I didn't really give him much to go on. He was just advising me over the phone and I think he was probably just assuming the worst case.
You're very generous!

Kind Regards, John

How do people normally get from a bell transformer out of the CU?
1.5mm T&E usually. If on show, e.g. clipped round the room, white 2c 5a flex is fairly neat and small.

Bell wire is vile. Small cores will need to be folded back to "fill the terminal" as I doubt you have bootlace crimps

You're very generous!

Yup. In my experience, it's the best way to be. Most people out there are pretty reasonable. The ones who claim everyone else are d*ckheads are usually the unreasonable ones.

On a slightly different note, I'm assuming that once I strip back the SWA, I'm going to find brown, black and grey cores. I will need to mark the black and grey cores, but what on earth do I use to do that? The sheathing I have is only ~3mm and TLC don't seem to do anything that'll cope with 25mm^2 :-/

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Sleeving/index.html

look for heat-shrink sleeving. You can get small packs of it in assorted colours and sizes on fleabay, it will save you buying it by the reel or metre.

once shrunk, it is also more secure.

You're very generous!
Yup. In my experience, it's the best way to be. Most people out there are pretty reasonable. The ones who claim everyone else are d*ckheads are usually the unreasonable ones.
In concept, I agree. However, when someone is being paid good money to give advice to those who need such advice, one would hope that they would be knowledgeable enough to give correct advice, and certainly not advice that would cost the individual even more than was necessary.
On a slightly different note, I'm assuming that once I strip back the SWA, I'm going to find brown, black and grey cores. I will need to mark the black and grey cores, but what on earth do I use to do that? The sheathing I have is only ~3mm and TLC don't seem to do anything that'll cope with 25mm^2 :-/
Heatshrink goes up to massive sizes. Otherwise, tape (or insulation of an appropriate colour stolen from an even larger cable ) is probably your only option.

Kind Regards, John

look for heat-shrink sleeving. You can get small packs of it in assorted colours and sizes on fleabay, it will save you buying it by the reel or metre.
Indeed, but those mixed packs don't usually include G/Y. I've been known to put on yellow heatshrink, then a few rings of green heatshrink over it.

Kind Regards, John

From a DNO perspective, if this is a temporary connection prior to moving the meter and the cut-out closer to the CU I would have no issue with the length of tails as long as they were not in a situation where they were susceptible to damage or not visible.

Bell wire is vile. Small cores will need to be folded back to "fill the terminal" as I doubt you have bootlace crimps

I wouldn't bet on that! Look at how the RCBO flying neutrals are terminated :)

I wouldn't bet on that! Look at how the RCBO flying neutrals are terminated :)

I can't see it very well, but MEM RCBOs come with bootlaces on the neutrals, so is it factory ones you can see?

they do tend to be too long and need a bit of trimming though. I have CK bootlace crimpers which seem fine.

edit
looking again, they all seem to be the same length, so my 10p is on factory terminations

none of the MEM rcbos I've fitted had ferrules on the neutrals.

formula posted a thread about trimming them to length and trimmed them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back