Best method for terminating SWA into domestic CU?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any suggestions on appropriate/good methods for Terminating SWA into a domestic CU. More and more work is involving external supplies and people are reluctant to have Metal CU (mainly due to aesthetics and cost).

Obviously the SWA Gland nut can hold the SWA to the board and then earth via the banjo, it just seems a little flimsy.

My brother, also a sparks favours using a trouser box, and then drawing the cores up into the board

Sponsored Links
Why a trouser box?

I sometimes use a 4x4 adaptable box, or run a piece of steel trunking along the bottom.
Saying that, I usually use an MK board with an insulated front and a metal base, easiest way then.

I'd think a through box would be a better choice than a trouser box unless you are trying to terminate more than one SWA.

Sponsored Links
As I understand it trouser box is another name for Y box (a box with two connections at one end and one at the other)

As I understand it trouser box is another name for Y box (a box with two connections at one end and one at the other)

I've always know a trouser box to be one of them:

CO20BXUG.JPG

Fergus, what about using a piranah nut? There's an example here. :)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=221438

For what it's worth, I use a galv through box, affixing the SWA to it having ensured the tails are long enough to pass right through to the CU terminals. Then I use a bit of 4mm² GY to connect between the box and the earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back