Piranha Nut in MK Masterseal Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if a 20 mm piranha nut can be fitted inside a MK masterseal 2 gang socket? I have found with some other weatherproof boxes, there is sometimes not enough room to fit/tighten these nuts due to the inner shape and profile of the box. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have had the trouble of which you speak.

While having not used a Piranha before, I get round the problem of fitting SWA locknuts into such boxes by lying the nut in the box and attaching the gland BEFORE fitting the SWA to the assembly.

Don't turn the piranha nut, let it dig into the backbox.
You should be turning the gland to lock against the piranha nut then terminating your SWA and tightening the backnut.

It doesn't need to be super-tight, remember, as the nut has a little grub screw which tightens against the gland and stops it coming loose.

Masterseal enclosures are pretty spacious inside, and free from ribs etc. Now, if you said you were using a Wiska..... ;)

Sponsored Links
Well why the &(^"%$!* didn't you tell me about those before you %#@}\|^^$??

:LOL:

Good of you to take the time to show the pictures - thanks - looks like there is plenty of space as you show. Being a true Scotsman, I didn't want to shell out for a Masterseal if my nuts weren't going to fit. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Fnarr, fnarr.

And will you look at Rocky - he's so posh he's got a lace tablecloth on his workbench.... :LOL:

Not so posh..Look at that carpet.... ;)

Only kidding Rocky!!

My local neweys have never heard of them, but their bringing them in as a stock item for me in 20 and 25mm sizes. JOY :)

Rocky, have you got the piranha nut on the wrong way?
Shouldn't the serrated edges not be there to bite (piranha!) into the backbox which causes the locknut to hold in place?

I know it's only a mock-up before you say!

IIRC you are supposed to put shiny side down (as in the picture) with plastic enclosures, and toothed side down in metallic enclosures.

Just curious rocky, how good an earth do you get off a nylon compression gland :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back