Bridging a thermostat after Hive Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am sure this topic has been done to death as I have read many variations of fixes, I need advice on my predicament, I have a Drayton wall thermostat as in Pic A in the hall, I have since found an old Drayton thermostat right next to the boiler Pic B which has been plastered over and I thought was dead as it has no dial connected, it appears that this is working as some kind of junction box, the grey electric cable runs to the hall thermostat and the white is from the boiler, when I took the face plate off I noticed the wires joined, how do I bridge the thermostat in B so I can remove the grey wire feeding the Hallway so I can remove it. And just have the Hive running at the moment I have both on the wall and the wife isn’t happy thanks

Attachments

• 8A597A93-59C8-4797-933C-07F998422009.jpeg
    8A597A93-59C8-4797-933C-07F998422009.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 119
  • A8E5B8DB-73B5-4A04-9E33-25FC8C94E9C4.jpeg
    A8E5B8DB-73B5-4A04-9E33-25FC8C94E9C4.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply’s it’s not a combi boiler, it’s an Ideal classic, I’m not sure where the wiring centre is but have attached a photo of the old timer unit which shows the wiring that is the same as in the hive now, hope this helps.

Attachments

• 91FD0896-C217-42E1-B0E1-86D1373A11E5.jpeg
    91FD0896-C217-42E1-B0E1-86D1373A11E5.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 82
  • E2AD1C55-8C68-4208-84AC-43BA4D053745.png
    E2AD1C55-8C68-4208-84AC-43BA4D053745.png
    1 MB · Views: 84
For it to work, the Drayton thermostat in picture A would need a 'live' connecting to terminal 'L' which from your photo looks OK at this end. But.....

a.jpeg

.....the red wire doesn't appear to be connected to another wire at the B, 'junction box' end.

b.jpeg

Therefore, as there's no supply to 'L' at thermostat A, there won't be anything being fed back to "junction box" B via the yellow switched live wire in '3' which means the grey cable isn't actually doing anything. In which case it can be removed. This assumes of course that the grey cable does go directly between A and B as you say.

What the other wires in the white cable are connected to at the boiler end is another matter, so they may be live.

For it to work, the Drayton thermostat in picture A would need a 'live' connecting to terminal 'L' which from your photo looks OK at this end. But.....

View attachment 244091

.....the red wire doesn't appear to be connected to another wire at the B, 'junction box' end.

View attachment 244093

Therefore, as there's no supply to 'L' at thermostat A, there won't be anything being fed back to "junction box" B via the yellow switched live wire in '3' which means the grey cable isn't actually doing anything. In which case it can be removed. This assumes of course that the grey cable does go directly between A and B as you say.

What the other wires in the white cable are connected to at the boiler end is another matter, so they may be live.

thanks Stem

I would rather m electrician come and look at this but out of the 4 I have messaged only one got back to me to say he was too busy, I can understand that as it’s a small job, I may just leave the old thermostat in until next year as we are now thinking of replacing the boiler, I suspect there is a rogue electric cable going somewhere else and without all the tools I will never know, but thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back