Disconnecting old room thermostat after HIVE installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m looking for some help on disconnecting an old Towerstat RS room thermostat after installing a HIVE thermostat.

The HIVE thermostat currently works however the heating Temperature can only be increased by turning the old thermostat up.

I must admit the wiring is a bit of a mess but I would really like to get this sorted out! I’ve read about bridging the ports where the thermostat wires used to go, but as a bit of a novice DIYer I would appreciate some advice before I get started!

current wiring has two thick grey cables running to the receiver, with two live, neutral and earth cables running into ports 1 & 2. Can I assume this cable is for the old thermostat? It disappears into the ceiling but doesn’t enter the boiler junction box.

any help is really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ive added some photos I hope will help!

Attachments

• IMG_4782.JPG
    IMG_4782.JPG
    322.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4952.JPG
    IMG_4952.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 92
HIVE

Attachments

• IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4950.JPG
    IMG_4950.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 52
No photos of the tower stat :LOL: you just need to link the live and switched live together in a connector block and remove the stat.

Sponsored Links
your pics are not for a RS thermostat, if that is what you have put the wires in 1&3 into a jointing terminal terminal and safely isolate any other wires

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Hi the pictures are of the hive receiver, not the thermostat. How do I know which wires are for the old thermostat? Sorry if that sounds a silly question, but I want to make sure. I am certain it’s the red wire in port 2, blue wire in port 1 and the earth. Would that sound correct?

The wires for the old thermostat are behind the old thermostat. Otherwise it’s trace them back.

But surely those wires also go into the receiver? Or am I wrong? I’m just trying to determine which of the wires going into the receiver are for the thermostat (if any) so I can disconnect from there. The thermostat is in the hallway and the receiver/boiler is in the kitchen.

Well it looks like you have an a plan system, so, no they won’t be at the hive, they’ll be at the wiring center.

Ah ok that makes sense, the junction box next to the boiler? I will take that off and see if I can make heads or tails of it. This house has been wired strangely in some cases (previous owner) - so I’m always really hesitant to mess about with it. Thank you again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back