Bristan shower won't turn off! Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help.

This morning I tried to turn off the shower but it won't turn fully off (the dial stops just before it normally does and so there is a still a large drip of water coming from the shower head). The shower head comes out of the wall separately to the tap part which has two swivel round dials - one for the flow of the shower and one for the temperature. I have no idea what model it is and only know it's made by Bristan.

Any ideas what's wrong and how I can fix it? At the moment I've had to turn the mains supply of water off. I've managed to take off the front swivel part (temperature) so it now looks like the photo below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really can't afford to call out an expensive plumber at the moment.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
How confident are you about taking it all apart? There might be a bit of grit lodged inside the valve, so take the other lever off, remove the securing screws and withdraw the valve. Don't forget to switch off your hot supply before you do this!

Not very confident about taking it all apart but will have a go if you think I could solve the problem myself and not make things worse. I'm unsure as to how to take the other lever off behind the gold part. If the mains water supply is off does this includes the hot supply? Is the valve easy to put back?

You're unlikely to make things worse unless you put it back together incorrectly. It's hard to tell from here how the second lever comes off, if there's no sign of a clip it might just pull. Might have a better idea if you take a close-up photo of the valve from the other side.

As for whether switching your mains off also switches off your hot water, you tell me. I don't know what type of system you have. Are the hot taps still working? The valve should be as easy to replace as it is to remove, you just have to remember what order you took everything off and reverse it.

Sponsored Links
Really appreciate your reply!

Have managed to get the second lever off now to reveal the screws and what I assume is the top of the valve?

When the mains tap is off none of my taps work so the hot and cold water must be cut off!

So in theory if I take it all apart and put it back together and it still doesn't work I possibly need a new valve?

I'm hoping I find some grit inside...

Thanks again for help!

Nikki

I can't seem to get the gold part out [is this the valve or the cartridge?!], should it just pull once you've unscrewed the front silver disc on top of it?

See photo below...

Hmm still a bit hard to say, will the chrome surround unscrew? might be quite tight..

If you want to take the catridge out the you will need to unscrew the large brass nut prior to the chrome section on your second image,
if you post an image of the control handle as well I could proberbly identify the product and advise better.

Hi there guys, really appreciate your responses.

Bristan have now sent me a cartridge which they think should fix the shower: part J SHX C but I am still struggling to get the gold section out of the mixer unit to be able to hopefully fit the cartridge behind? The chrome surround is attached to the pipes. Also, a friend of mine seems to think it may not be the right cartridge for the shower? More photos below...

Thanks again.

Your Friend is correct they have sent you the parts for the manual Java shower valve yours is thermostatic.

the latest model is different to the one you have it has a flat front plate and a smaller handle on it like this one. http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/copy_of_java_shower_with_adjustable_riser.html
They have lots of new staff there so you need to specify which generation of thermostatic cartridge you have so if you mention the fact that your valve is the model just before the current model which was produced last year you will get the correct part through. jtshcar was the product code.

Removing the cartridge follow as below:
Remove the temperature control handle (43) by removing the cap (45) and the loosening the grub screw (44) and pulling the handle off the spindle adaptor (42).
Unscrew the two handle retaining screws (40) and pull the flow control handle
(39) off the valve.
Unscrew the retaining nut (25) and remove the slip ring (24), cam (23) and the
temperature stop ring (41).
Unscrew the cartridge (22) anticlockwise to remove from the shower body (30).
GALLERY]

Sorry I do not have the last version as your valve but they have not changed really the process is the same.

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back