Britain could do better

Or better still, leave the French pop in France and enjoy a really nice pint of British Ale..... There's plenty of fantastic British produced grub available... You just won't find it in ASDA

Sponsored Links
Or better still, leave the French pop in France and enjoy a really nice pint of British Ale..... There's plenty of fantastic British produced grub available... You just won't find it in ASDA

Of course there are great british products to celabrate the finest ale and cheese in the world to name a few and I know its expected and tradition to hate the french 1066 and all that, but while you are so busy kissing the flag ,you have missed the point ;that is to get all these wonderful products we are paying through the nose for it and that shows by the great priced food you can get abroad too many to list.

Everybody is paying through the nose, the price of stuff is going up and it's going to keep on going up. The era of cheap food is over.

Any differences between here and the Euro area could easily be explained by variations in currency 'value'. If you follow the Big Mac Index you will see the UK Pound is undervalued vs the Euro. Were the pound to go up in value vs the Euro to 'Big Mac Parity' then the price of food over there would become more expensive and more approximate the sterling price over here.

When it comes to booze then that's all subject to local tax so the market is distorted. However you went there to buy cheaper booze, plenty of other people do the same, some of them sell it at a profit. You can thank the EU for being able to do that, wasn't long ago you could only bring back 1l of spirits and 2l of wine. Now you can bring back as much as you can drink and more.

problem with france is its full of french

That's where you're wrong.

It has the same population as our country, but is roughly 3 times the size.

So you could say it's a third full of French people.

And the food is fantastic. If you say nothing else about the French, they know their food & drink. It's easier to get hold of good quality produce without paying through the nose for it.

So I'm with HWW on this one.

Sponsored Links
Went to a market in Burgundy some years ago, the range of food and drink on sale was excellent, as were the prices, although I am told they prices have risen a fair bit in recent years. So I would agree whilst it is certainly possible to get equally good produce here in blighty, it is not as widely available and is considerably more expensive.

And the food is fantastic. If you say nothing else about the French, they know their food & drink. It's easier to get hold of good quality produce without paying through the nose for it.

Yeh they sure do..Gargonschnov tripoux, Escargot and Cuisses de grenouilles

(tripe parcels, snails and frogs legs)

Yes they sure know their food!

Try buying californian wine in France. or any other decent foreign wine.

Except at Majestic at Calais of course ....

So, just checked a random French supermarket website, Carrefour - absolutely massive.

Their wine page:

http://www.carrefour.fr/acheter-en-ligne/vins-et-champagnes

No Australian, German, USA, Chile, Argentina, South African wines to be had.

Go to their spirits page and you only get whisky. No gin, vodka, rum, nothing exotic at all.

I checked for a bottle of champagne we quite like to splash around at Xmas, Lanson Black Label.

At carrefour it's E30 which is around £24.
At Asda it's £20.

Which basically means I better get me ass down there before it runs out.

But yes, very good stuff in France, but nothing special compared to what we have this side of the channel.

I am working with quite a few Continental Europeans right now and they say the selection is better here and the quality just as good if not better. They are always saying it's brilliant that they can buy their home brands in supermarkets over here.

I now find continental Europe very expensive.

Grass is always greener.

We have some Russian friends who love shopping for clothes... They could go to Milan or Paris but they prefer to shop in Britain because we have every label from around the world where Paris would only have French labels and the same for Milan.... British prices are lower and it is easier to claim the VAT back which makes the UK a shoppers paradise..

Of course there are great british products to celabrate the finest ale and cheese in the world to name a few and I know its expected and tradition to hate the french 1066 and all that, but while you are so busy kissing the flag ,you have missed the point ;that is to get all these wonderful products we are paying through the nose for it and that shows by the great priced food you can get abroad too many to list.

I'm not entirely sure that I have missed the point... Granted supermarkets can be dear if you want better quality food but there are plenty of smaller butchers and farm shops that sell superb quality food for reasonable prices.. My local micro brewery will sell me a cask of ale too. I'll admit that the beer is dearer than the french bottled beer but if given the choice of drinking mediocre beer that is cheap or water, then I'll take the water thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back