Fishing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's strange that no one has mentioned fishing.I grew up in Birmingham and my dad was a great contest fisherman. He introduced me to fishing when I was 5 years old he gave me my first fishin' rod (albeit a "green heart" 2 section pike rod.) But he taught me the finer details of match fishing ,and living in brum in the 50's we had a great choice of canals,local park pools and reservoires, and being as dad had a motor bike and side-car we had access to the Avon ,the Severn,the Wye, The Lugg and Teme, and other rivers which were all within 50 miles of Brum. So as he worked in the Car industry we had our two weeks summer holidays every year and it was always in a caravan not far from a river, and two or three nights a week we went fishing in the canals around Brum. As I grew older I joined the fishing clubs my dad was in and every Saturday and Sunday we were out fishing .By the way my mother had my older sister to look after and my younger sister and brother. But it just seemed a way of life that we went fishing when ever we could, and sometimes dad used to pack us all in and on the bike and away we would go for a day out at Startford or Evesham or Bidford and he would wander off with mom and the kids after he had sorted me out a place to fish..I have great memories of our fishin' exploits and a lot of fishermans tales to tell . But when I was 17 I left home and travelled the world and didn't do any fishing till I settled down in Guernsey for a while and did a bit of sea fishing (mainly Conger eels and light fishing for Garfish) but that finished and now I have still got my rods and dads ole tackle but they are now gathering dust in the garage. So there must be a few of you out there that still do a bit of fishin'? When I started it was the most popular people participation sport in Britain. But thinking back I think part of me didn't want to carry on fishing because I started to think about how the fish felt . Must be an age thing .But I am not a person to tell anyone not to fish because the thrill of the unexpected when your fishing is unbelievable...

Sponsored Links
Never been interested in fishing, would rather lay by a lake doing nothing all day.

nowt wrong with fishing. If your doing it right then your catching and having fun, if your not then you are indeed lying by a lake doing nothing all day. Quids in really :D

Many people who do not fish do not understand why we fish.

That we are competing with another species, trying to entice them onto our hook.

The thrill/challenge of catching a fish and then the actual landing which takes knowledge and skill to bag a large fish.

Oh- and it gets us away from the nagging at home for a day :)

Sponsored Links
Back