Britain will not seek to extend Brexit transition period, says minister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hardly a surprise.

As a brexit negotiation tactic it has backfired.

The UK is on the wrong side of the ticking clock:

Refusing to extend gives UK less leverage, ultimately, not more because 'no deal' consequences fall asymmetrically on UK side

Sponsored Links
I'll gladly support that decision. :)
Jolly good, very wise........

"The UK's largest car manufacturing plant is "unsustainable" if the UK leaves the European Union without a trade deal, owner Nissan says.

The Japanese company's global chief operating head told the BBC people had to understand the EU was the Sunderland factory's biggest customer.

Ashwani Gupta said that Nissan's commitment could not be maintained if there was not tariff-free EU access.

Nissan has invested billions of pounds in the plant, which has 7,000 workers."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52900528

Sponsored Links
Just as well we'll be coming out of the virus period in good shape then?

Oops...

UK economy could be among worst hit of leading nations, says OECD

"The UK is likely to be the hardest hit by Covid-19 among major economies, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development has warned...

In its latest assessment, the OECD found that the UK's largely service-based economy meant that it had been particularly badly hit by the government's lockdown restrictions...

The OECD also mentions the pandemic economic impact being "compounded" by the looming plausible failure to sign a trade deal with the EU and new trade barriers with the European Union at the end of the year."

But hey, quitters are looking forward to all this pain!

they will blame brexit damage on covid. And foreigners. And UK Citizens who are not anti-Europe.

Just as well we'll be coming out of the virus period in good shape then?

Oops...

UK economy could be among worst hit of leading nations, says OECD

"The UK is likely to be the hardest hit by Covid-19 among major economies, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development has warned...

In its latest assessment, the OECD found that the UK's largely service-based economy meant that it had been particularly badly hit by the government's lockdown restrictions...

The OECD also mentions the pandemic economic impact being "compounded" by the looming plausible failure to sign a trade deal with the EU and new trade barriers with the European Union at the end of the year."

But hey, quitters are looking forward to all this pain!

they will blame brexit damage on covid. And foreigners. And UK Citizens who are not anti-Europe.

Keep it coming boys, love it.

hardly a surprise.

As a brexit negotiation tactic it has backfired.

The UK is on the wrong side of the ticking clock:

Refusing to extend gives UK less leverage, ultimately, not more because 'no deal' consequences fall asymmetrically on UK side

Tbf it's worked, Barnier has finally now announced he and the EU are willing to compromise on there proposed deal. Which would have meant the UK stayed fully as part of the EU but with no say..

I can't decide if we should make any deal or clean break it then do a deal later on.

I see pro's and cons on both sides so I'm on the fence on this.

Tbf it's worked, Barnier has finally now announced he and the EU are willing to compromise on there proposed deal.
Its not a compromise - the EU doesnt trust the UK so it has so far insisted the UK accept EU law to stop the UK reneging on the deal.

what Barnier has said the EU can avoid insisting on that, provided the UK puts the political declaration into law.

“There is no need to change or adjust the EU mandate, we can find the necessary compromise on the condition that the UK changes its approach and accepts appropriate balances of rights, benefits and obligations and legally binding constraints based on the back of the agreed Political Declaration of last October.

“The declaration is the only valid starting point for the negotiation.”
https://financial-press.uk/2020/06/...mpromise-after-uk-threats-of-no-deal-uk-news/

I can't decide if we should make any deal or clean break it then do a deal later on.
the UK shoud refuse any deal -that way when transition ends the economic shock will be front loaded and more difficult for this government to deflect from owning the mess.

I don't know why everyone is going on about a No Deal Brexit, UK are in line for an Australian type agreement. :whistle:
If we don't negotiate a Canada-style FTA [free trade agreement], we'll leave with an Australia-style relationship.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53002961
So all you 'No Deal' Brexiters can shut up about No Deal, UK are having an Australian type relationship. :confused:

I don't know why everyone is going on about a No Deal Brexit, UK are in line for an Australian type agreement. :whistle:
If we don't negotiate a Canada-style FTA [free trade agreement], we'll leave with an Australia-style relationship.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53002961
So all you 'No Deal' Brexiters can shut up about No Deal, UK are having an Australian type relationship. :confused:
Either way..Brexit happened..Live with it...As all you Commies keep telling us """"TIMES CHANGE"""

Sponsored Links
Back