British Gas care plan, failed boiler, HOW MUCH !

Sponsored Links
Gas valve does look a teeny bit out of line looking at that picture again mind you. If chassie/sealed chamer has hole corroded in it then unfortunately that is ID and beyond repair

I have a wonderful vision of Tony getting onto a Cumbria bound National Express with a tool bag, boiler and pack of copper...

Well I phoned them today, I got the impression that having marks customers change their mind after accepting the salespersons quote is not in the least unusual. Them put the order on hold until we either tell them to go ahead, or (more likely) cancel.

I got no comment whatsoever when I suggested that the quote seems very exorbitant, and some of the extra are bordering on fraudulent (which I believe they are).

Boiler/flush/filter/co alarm/nest-hive/trvs/ladders or scaffold to work on roof/electicians cost/and of couse one years FREE homecare, buy it today for £5500?
Well that's the closest so far for extras list, Tony is a bit closer on "buy today" price.

Flush - check
Filter - check
CO alarm - not mentioned, though Mum already has one that's been provided before.
controls - use existing, ditto TRVs (like-4-like replacement in existing location)
scaffold - check (and silly price) We had some in at work earlier this year, it was "more complex" than is needed for this job, and was less than half the price.
Electrical work - check. "Carry out part p electrical connections including main earth bonding where required". WTF ? If the fitter is not competent to disconnect 4 wires in one cable to the current boiler, and reconnect those same 4 wires to the new boiler, then they aren't competent to be fitting a boiler (IMO). Even if they get a separate sparky in, it's (more than) twice a typical call out fee for a small job.
"Complimentary" homecare - check.

Grand total a little over £5k, less £100 Homecare loyalty discount, and £700 "discretionary discount". It's that old "load it up and offer a discount" trick - Mum did genuinely think that it was a "generous" discount.

That leaves three more "extras", totally about £870. One was "you can't be serious", one was "WTF ?", one was "what on earth is that ?".
Any last guesses ?

Deffo get independant, but watch for what boiler yhere quoting, that can change the price more than £600 between a good or a carp boiler,
BG are quoting Baxi Precision + ErP which I assume is a standard Baxi model with a BG sticker on it. Penny pinching is not on the cards, but being gouged is a different matter. Mum does have the money to buy a decent boiler - which models (open vent, basic to go on an S plan) come recommended ? Which to avoid ?

Sponsored Links
OK, I was round at Mum's again this evening, and got her to show me what was supposed to be corroded. She pointed at the internal cast flue and said the guy showed her "crumbly stuff" round that and on top of the outer casing. Hmm, call me a "little sceptical".

The bottom of the main casing is clearly past it's best, but it's not perforated yet. I assume the crap on top of the combustion chamber is "stuff" that's been inducted and dropped down the intake pipe.

BTW - anyone notice what the superfluous earth wire is attached to :rolleyes: There's 3 more on the water and gas pipes down at the bottom, as well as the main bonding at the service inlets, and the earth in the supply cable to the boiler.

Some piccies, I know people like piccies :cool:

boiler-2.jpg
boiler-3.jpg
boiler-4.jpg
boiler-5.jpg
boiler-6.jpg

I did think after I'd done it, I hope I didn't dislodge the collar on the roof when I lifted the flue pipes up :whistle: It looks clean enough inside (both flue and intake annulus).

I think it's could be interesting to see what the independent says when he comes on Monday. Reagrdless, it'll probably get scheduled for replacement, it's clearly seen better days and better doing it now while the weather is warm than waiting for winter and a breakdown.

So BG have been 'caring' for this bag of shyte for how long????

Remember peeps , this is what you pay for with BG....LOL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back