British Gas care plan, failed boiler, HOW MUCH !

Is there really any need to disconnect the gas supply on that model?

Sponsored Links
The flue wasn't disconnected - I did that looking for where the "piles of crumbly stuff" were supposed to have been coming from (sorry if that wasn't clear). And I've put it back again. Also the front of the combustion chamber - so I could get my Mum to point to what was supposedly corroded.
I figure, it's already turned off, and it's not getting turned on until someone qualified has "fixed" it - so it's not exactly high risk having a peek about (and getting photos).

The only thing "hanging out" is the bottom cover which has never been replaced properly by any "engineer" - but that's not unique to BG either, I've replaced the outer casing screws several times on the boiler in the flat :rolleyes: The usual guy that does the annual service and landlord cert is pretty good, but whenever anyone has been to fix it, I can gurantee that there'll be screws missing.

The gas isn't disconnected, but the fuse is removed from the spur the system is fed from - and of course, the ID tag was left prominent.

I doubt that it will ever work again!

Ignoring your unqualified interventions, the corrosion to the casing would be a good reason to class it unrepairable.

Think of the MOT guys who push a screwdriver through your rusty car floor?

Sponsored Links
i usually knock 25% off a bg install price without even looking at the job. if that is accepted, then I go round and give a proper quote. I usually get them unless they go for the BG never never option.

Why did you not ask the guy who came to quote about the price when he gave it you?, he will be much better informed on the specifics than us bunch of randoms on a forum. If bg wanted to get out of doing any work why didnt they do it before they replaced that heat exchanger which is really a 'beyond economical repair' situation on these bags of junk?. They have done that and all the valves with no question. I suspect the earth problem you are referring to is the main bonding at the meter.

The 700 discount you are sceptical about is paid from the service and repair business to the ch installation business as its a potential saving on fitting parts for repair if it were possible.

What are the disconnection reasons on the ID paperwork left?, if this is not clear then ring the bg office and they will contact the engineer to get him to clarify and explain and if you still dont believe him they will send round someone to re-examine and give a second opinion.

With regard to quotes just get 3 or 4 and choose your preffered (or your mums preferred) and get the job done.

When in comes to BG sales there are no specifics, it's a number plucked out the guys ar$e depending on what he thinks he can get for it.

Worst I saw was £8000+ for a heat only open vent boiler swap to another heat only open vent, no trvs, no controls or cyl upgrade, just an old woman with a dodgey thermocouple on a Mexico, and that's not hear say, I worked with them at the time and examined her quote myself.

It's no secret that there expensive, it's a quote, take it or leave it, what gets me is how variable it can be, when I left they were genuinely doing combi swaps for 2k including filter.

Still not sure if that boiler is In fact beyond repair, but it is a heap of $hite so get a reliable independent (that doesn't mind working off a set of ladders lol - it's a flat roof, hardly scaffolding work) and get something with a decent warranty, you'll save her a decent sum over the long run

Why did you not ask the guy who came to quote about the price when he gave it you?
I wasn't there, and I didn't even know he was coming. Worst thing is, had I not happened to visit within that few days time window, it would have been fait-acompli and they'd have got away with it.
If bg wanted to get out of doing any work why didnt they do it before they replaced that heat exchanger which is really a 'beyond economical repair' situation on these bags of junk?. They have done that and all the valves with no question.
Those were done a while ago - the heat exchanger when the boiler was fairly new (I was under the impression it was a common design fault).
I suspect the earth problem you are referring to is the main bonding at the meter.
There is no earth problem. They seem to be quoting nearly £200 for electrical works "including main bonding if needed" - if the guy doing the quote was competent to be quoting, he'd have been able to see from visual inspection that all the required MEB (and more) is in place.
What are the disconnection reasons on the ID paperwork left?, if this is not clear then ring the bg office and they will contact the engineer to get him to clarify and explain and if you still dont believe him they will send round someone to re-examine and give a second opinion.
No reason is given, none whatsoever - just boxes ticked to say it's dangerous :rolleyes: That's the first thing I looked for.
I forgot to ask when I phoned on Friday - I was more concerned at the time with making sure they didn't start the job before we'd got a second opinion.

Still not sure if that boiler is In fact beyond repair
Well we should find out on Monday, and even if it actually "needs repair".
but it is a heap of $hite
We know that - it's averaged a breakdown about every 18 to 24 months since it was fitted. Though I know at least one "breakdown" was in fact due to them not having cleaned it out when the heat exchanger corroded.

The tube that goes from the heat exchanger to the flue is obsolete on these. Not on the later ones with a round tube, but the ones with that more "square" shape are. Looks like that could be the reason.

£700 discount can be given on these now regardless of whether they're broken or not, only model of boiler from ANY manufacturer that they do that on.

Price was extortionate though, don't blame you for going elsewhere.

I wasn't there, and I didn't even know he was coming. Worst thing is, had I not happened to visit within that few days time window, it would have been fait-acompli and they'd have got away with it.
simonh2 I'm a little lost with the aggression of the post, bg weren't informed you needed to be consulted on any advise given to your mum and when she cancelled the work on your advice they did with no argument.

The heat exchangers corrode constantly as the condensate is quite aggressive on the cast and blocks in the trap.

I'm not sure its not repairable or if the engineer said it was. It looks to me as though the flue section is leaking and corroded. Bg policy is to offer a 700 discount if the repair is going to be time consuming or expensive on parts especially on these knackers. I would imagine he capped it and arranged a quote, if not accepted then would have ordered spares and repaired. As I said, best way to start is to ring the office and get the advice clarified. As a business working to the insurance code of conduct bg are pretty huge on giving and recording advice accurately despite their historic reputation.

Update: Well the independent turned up this afternoon as booked, Mum says he was there a couple of hours. Spoke to him on phone, he says there's a little corrosion, but not enough to be considered a safety issue yet - and the FGA says it's burning OK. Yes, he did recommend it be replaced due to it's age and general condition - but not "turn it off, replace it right now" replacement.
I think he was also checking some details for his colleague to quote on Wed - the gas supply is only 15mm at the boilers, so he was checking where the change from 22 to 15 occurs (under the bathroom floor I think).

And he was "quite confident" they'll be able to do a replacement for "considerably less" than BG :whistle:

My brother is still trying to get hold of the guy he uses for another independent quote - did a good job on their house and a holiday let they have. Downside is that he's one of those guys who is always busy, and doesn't need to advertise such is his good reputation - hence he tends to be hard to get hold of at times.

How anyone can give u a price on here is beyond me.
Bg might be more expensive than most doesn't mean you are being ripped off.
I don't see Tony's price as realistic

I don't think the prices are plucked from mid air. The quotes are made by the computer by adding items and a time allowance.
The guy that did the quote would have left his card, why not phone him?
Getting quotes from others would be a good option though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back