British Gas care plan, failed boiler, HOW MUCH !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mum's annual boiler service was yesterday, and it was ID'd for an unknown reason. The best Mum was able to give was "he pointed to something crumbly" and showed her a catalogue that showed the boiler is obsolete (I know it was EOL quite a while ago).
The current boiler is an Ideal Icos M3080
84867-18e451db2a7b379e8db5e825be229be4.jpg

I've arranged for someone else to look at the boiler and see if it is actually faulty, and if it is, whether it's repairable. Also getting another quote for a replacement. BG had someone round today to do a quote, and Mum's already paid the deposit.
I think Mum's finding things hard since Dad died, especially when things like this come up that Dad used to deal with.

The flue goes vertically up through a flat roof, and the boiler is in the first floor bathroom. And we're in south Cumbria.

Any suggestions what sort of rough figure we ought to expect for a replacement ?

And for a bit of fun, anyone what to guess what value BG put on it, and how long they reckon it'll take ?
Bonus points if you can list all the "extras" - there's a price for the boiler (Baxi Precision + ErP) and a separate price for installation. There are items on there that surprised me, and I'm well aware of BG's sales techniques.

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 437
Sponsored Links
Get a local independant to quote and save a fortune on what is, a simple boiler swap. There will be a cooling off period. My guess is not far from £3K. I used to work for BG and are well aware of the extras charges.
Do I win a prize for closest to the pin?

Hate giving prices for this kind of work, but like for like you're looking at a days work plus a little extra fro a flush.

Even with our southern prices we would be less than £3k.

WOuld be nice to know what was ID'd - they would have to tell you.

Makes yo wonder what all those annual/monthly premiums were for doesn't it... because it the boiler was checked annually proerly, nothing should get crumbly and irreparable within a year.

I would guess the BG price could be about £3890.

But if no complications I can do them for about £1780 with a better boiler.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Get a local independant to quote
Yes, I am doing - but it's always a good idea to know what sort of range to expect.
There will be a cooling off period.
There is, and it'll almost certainly be getting invoked.
My guess is not far from £3K. I used to work for BG and are well aware of the extras charges.
Do I win a prize for closest to the pin?
Nah, miles off :eek:

WOuld be nice to know what was ID'd - they would have to tell you.
I was going to try and find out - but I can't help thinking it won't be on the paperwork.
Makes yo wonder what all those annual/monthly premiums were for doesn't it... because it the boiler was checked annually proerly, nothing should get crumbly and irreparable within a year.
Indeed. To be fair, there's not a lot of the boiler they haven't replaced over the years :rolleyes: The last breakdown (during that cold spell a the end of 2010) was due to their failure to clean out the trap after replacing a corroded heat exchanger - the ali oxide from that had settled and virtually clogged the trap so under sustained high output the water backed up and shut the boiler down.

I would guess the BG price could be about £3890.
Getting warmer ;)
But if no complications I can do them for about £1780 with a better boiler.
That's a useful price point - and more in line with what I had in my mind.

But no guesses about some of the "interesting" extras ?

I knew you were going to post that. :LOL:

Why not £3885?

Bet you could do it for £1750 if you really put you mind to it ;).

No, I don't like working too cheaply.

Particularly when I am feeling somewhat tired tonight after removing a dreadful cast iron boiler from nearly ceiling height.

New IG one goes in tomorrow I hope.

Tony

After viewing my last post I was amused to see an AA boiler install advert underneath saying "prices start at £1790".

Not needing to be VAT reg enables some savings.

I normally go to do boiler installs by car. Todays needed so many tools/bits! Also heavy bits of old boiler to take away.

Tony

Boiler/flush/filter/co alarm/nest-hive/trvs/ladders or scaffold to work on roof/electicians cost/and of couse one years FREE homecare, buy it today for £5500?

Deffo get independant, but watch for what boiler yhere quoting, that can change the price more than £600 between a good or a carp boiler,

Get a filter, some of the bigger makes are 7 or 10 year warranties, subject to terms of course, but ten years not paying for boiler insurance will pay its self back im sure.

Have they quoted scaffolding?. The ID reason will be on the paperwork left, wonder if the gas valve bracket rivets corroded and fell out. I know ideal guys are scrapping them off left right and centre for this at the moment.

Forgot to mention charges to dispose of old boiler lol

Whats obsolite on an isar btw? There almost identical to the last isar he's/evos that were made,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back