British Gas Fitted My New Heating/leak & Knocking Radiat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am new to this site and i am a complete novice to central heating so please bear with me! :)

Last week i had British Gas to fit my new gas central heating. The other one has apparently been in my house for the past 25 years.
We have purchased a Greenstar 30Si Wall Hung RSF Gas Fired Condensing Combination Bolier.
My old system was an old council huge cylinder.
The reason why we wanted new heating was because even in milder weather we would have to switch the temp upto at least 25 degrees to get any heat. This has been the same for the past 6 years with huge gas bills.
We would have to bleed the radiators probably every 3 months or so a few cracklings in the radiators would become apparent around 2-3 times yearly.
We wanted to update the system incase we need to sell up as well as an investment/ including having the right documents for the homebuyers pack that comes into effect next year 07
The trouble arose after the completion finished was when i got up the next morning there was a leak somewhere in the bathroom. My wallpaper was wet. B.G. came the same day which was good and said that the installation team damaged a pipe when they fitted the system. Apparently they mistook an old heating pipe for a cold water pipe. The engineer who came regarding the leak didn't switch the cold water mains that very day and when he went to cut and cap off the pipe i had water gushing through my ceiling onto my new hard wood flooring in the kitchen!
Whats more annoying than anything now is when the heating comes on in the morning its waking everyone up because of the constant knocking on the all of the radiators. We might have had a few crackles before around 2-3 times a year but now its hard banging everytime the heating comes on and lasts for around an hour by this time everyone has already got up with annoyance! If the temp dips it starts up again banging. Im dreading the real cold weather as i im worried we won't get any sleep. I told the guy who came to sell a boiler to me from B.G originally with my concerns at the very beginning and said the crackling that happens 2-3 times yearly would go. Now i have this constant banging. I have new trv's fitted so when the installation teams manager came yesterday he said it can't be trapped air and it may be expansion of the pipes. What now please any ideas?
Oh before i sign off B.G. said i would have to clean my own damaged carpet and forward the bill on to them and that someone would come and glue down the damaged wallpaper even though its all stained! Not a happy camper at the cost of £3,844.00
:eek:

Sponsored Links
BG fitters couldn`t fit a French Letter :rolleyes: said it before and I`ll have to say it again .................sorry to hear they caught you too :cry:

If anyone can help with this post it would be lovely thankyou, i don't want replies like the post above. I had B.G in incase of any comebacks which im glad of now because of the leak.... which is now ok and the carpet and wallpaper is replaceable. Its one of those things. Its the knocking and banging im bothered about. We had new trv's on our existing radiators because they said they were ok...

As far as I know the appliance will have at least 1 year of homecare maintenance contract on it so why not give them a buzz. It shouldn't be banging and may need (re)commissioning.

Sponsored Links
From what you say it is very likely a contraction and relaxation of pipework to the rads. Caused by INITIAL poor fitting, clipping, lagging etc.

Is it exsiting pipework or did BG fit a new system entirely?

Your new higher efficeincy boiler has probably highlighted this fault to a greater extent.

Is it all the rads? Noise can travel. You have changed the TRVs to bi-directional i take it?

Ultimately it may be a case of ripping up floor boards and remedying faulty pipework. I don't know if BG cover that??

He's tried telling BG and theyve fobbed him off.

urbangothix said:
I have new trv's fitted so when the installation teams manager came yesterday he said it can't be trapped air and it may be expansion of the pipes

did the BG guy actually hear the 'banging'? can you describe it, one bang every now and a gain, or multiples one after the other, etc.

get on the phone to bg .ask for the local lead eng to call, write down your issues and get him to resolve them, that is what he is paid for

gordongas said:
get on the phone to bg .ask for the local lead eng to call, write down your issues and get him to resolve them, that is what he is paid for

agree with this...keep on at them. they will send the support manager to resolve it.

if the noise only happens on startup then leave the system cold until the engineer arrives.

as above write a checklist of your concerns and make sure they are all dealt with one by one.

if they damaged your carpet/wall then they are liable. make sure they are aware you are not going to accept the wallpaper just stuck down if you cant live with that. you are within your rights to ask for compensation/replacement

Thankyou for all your comments.
The salesperson from B.G when i signed up said i didn't need new radiators as the ones we have are ok. B.G wouldn't pull up my daughters floorboards as hard wood flooring is down so they have put all new gas piping on the outside of the house which isn't pretty. Again new trv's are fitted. The banging is constant more so in all of the rooms upstairs and i always know when its a certain time when it wakes the whole family up. Its like a horrible alarm clock and continues for the duration of getting to the right temp. When the temp dips and the boiler kicks in again along comes the knocking and banging again.
Its sort of goes bang... bang.... bangbang....bang...............bangbang.
Its not a whooshing water noise.
Is it true it could be expansion of the pipework like the installation manager said even though the new gas pipes are fitted outside?
I have listened in each room and its not echoing from only one place, its in every room more so upstairs,
Can you explain more regarding the below please,

You have changed the TRVs to bi-directional i take it?

It shouldn't be banging and may need (re)commissioning.

Thankyou, urban. :D

We just had BG fit an entire system for us from scratch, the service was absolutely spot on, they fitted everything neatly, and we've not had a problem.

Would happily recommend them to anyone!

urbangothix said:
so they have put all new gas piping on the outside of the house which isn't pretty.

I hate this , apx 3 weeks ago picked up 3 jobs loacl because some travellers had just cut into the pipe and ripped it off the wall .

urbangothix said:
so they have put all new gas piping on the outside of the house which isn't pretty.

I hate this , apx 3 weeks ago picked up 3 jobs loacl because some travellers had just cut into the pipe and ripped it off the wall .

macmini said:
We just had BG fit an entire system for us from scratch, the service was absolutely spot on, they fitted everything neatly, and we've not had a problem.

whats this got to do with this thread !!!!!!

Do you work for BG ?

arfurrrr said:
macmini said:

whats this got to do with this thread !!!!!!

Do you work for BG ?

Nige F said:
BG fitters couldn`t fit a French Letter icon_rolleyes.gif said it before and I`ll have to say it again .................sorry to hear they caught you too icon_cry.gif

B.G. have just been.
They say it probably is expansion of the pipes which is unavoidable. They have turned the trv's down and boiler.
Trv's from 6 to 2 and half
boiler from 6 to 3. They said see if that makes a difference and they will phone me tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back