British Gas Magnetic Filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BG recently recommended that I should fit their Magnabooster magnetic system filter to prevent sludge build-up in the system. Does it work? Is it any good?

My boiler, rads and all the pipes were replaced about 6 years ago. The system was filled with Fernox Superconcentrate Central Heating Protector. I've never had a problem with cold spots or any other system faults since. Do I need it?

Sponsored Links
british gas have a habit of looking at peoples systems and trying to recommend anything they dont see on the system to make more profit
using their engineers as salesmen

Lets get one thing very clear here, the Magnabooster is NOT a BG product, they have the habit of trying to rebrand everything as their own, well they do not manufacture anything, they will be either using the Sentinel System Filter, or the Spirotech Magnabooster, but to answer your question, these products work, but they do NOT prevent sludge build up in the system as you state you were informed by BG, they simply prevent the magnatite and other debris entering your boiler, the inhibitors in your system are there to prevent the build up of sludge

Lets get one thing very clear here, the Magnabooster is NOT a BG product, they have the habit of trying to rebrand everything as their own, well they do not manufacture anything, they will be either using the Sentinel System Filter, or the Spirotech Magnabooster, but to answer your question, these products work, but they do NOT prevent sludge build up in the system as you state you were informed by BG, they simply prevent the magnatite and other debris entering your boiler, the inhibitors in your system are there to prevent the build up of sludge

Well said, do you play in a band called the Gorillas at weekends :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Lets get one thing very clear here, the Magnabooster is NOT a BG product, they have the habit of trying to rebrand everything as their own, well they do not manufacture anything,

according to the spirotech rep the magnabooster was developed for BG after they were approached by BG when they decided to cut adey loose.

the current model is the mk3 version of the filter after 2 previous efforts were rejected by BG.

The system was filled with Fernox Superconcentrate Central Heating Protector.
Good.

I've never had a problem with cold spots or any other system faults since.
Good
Put another bottle of inhibitor in every few years (whether you put a filter in or not)

Do I need it?
NO!

Thanks for that. You're right, from the literature they've left it looks like the Spirotech Magnabooster. I didn't think it would prevent sludge either, the guy who fitted the system said same and that all I needed was the Fernox. I remember at the time BG were trying to get me to fit something called Scalemaster, where you had to wrap some wires round the pipes.

The guy from BG was very specific though. He said that the Fernox does not prevent sludge buildup. Only the Magnabooster will. Is it all just a scam to flog some gear?

The guy from BG was very specific though. He said that the Fernox does not prevent sludge buildup. Only the Magnabooster will. Is it all just a scam to flog some gear?

If that's exactly what he said, then yes. That isn't to say that a magnetic filter isn't a good thing to have on your system, but that doesn't mean lies should be used to sell them to the customer.

Thanks for that. You're right, from the literature they've left it looks like the Spirotech Magnabooster. I didn't think it would prevent sludge either, the guy who fitted the system said same and that all I needed was the Fernox. I remember at the time BG were trying to get me to fit something called Scalemaster, where you had to wrap some wires round the pipes.

Just a scam, the inhibitor prevents the sludge build up, not the Magnabooster, the Magnabooster is a filter to protect the boiler by stopping sludge and debris entering it

That sounds about right. Out of curiosity I had a look at the spirotech data sheet and they claim that it "leaves your installation water totally magnetite free and totally dirt free". I can understand the magnetite bit but how does it get all the dirt (sludge?) out? And how much is it really capturing if you only need to open the drain valve for 3-5 seconds per year!

Well said, do you play in a band called the Gorillas at weekends :LOL:
Nah - Hes a retainer for Lord Bath - covers when in season :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back