British Gas Potterton Precision Boiler need resetting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi All,
wishing everyone a Merry Xmas and a healthy 2021

recently my potterton precision boiler has started playing up. it was installed in 2013 but i moved into the property jan 2019. boiler has been working fine past 2 years.

however recently, i will wake up to find the house cold. i check the boiler and will find the reset red light on.i will press the button to reset and boiler will fire up straight away and will work fine for the rest of the day.
Boiler is set to go off at 22.30pm and come back on at 0500am by the timer. it always work fine during the day with no issues at all.
the reset issues only happens first thing in the morning when its supposed to come on for the day.
also as soon as i press reset, it fires up and works fine for the day until it is shut down at 22.30 by the timer.
sometimes it will come on again at 05.00 as set by the timer, but its becoming frequent when it wont come on and i have to go and reset it.

any ideas on why this is happening please?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
When it locks out the three lights flash in a sequence what is the sequence ?

Last edited:
thanks for your reply. am lost though when you refer to 'tree lights' flashing in a sequence.
there is only one light which comes on where the reset button is and its a constant red. there is no sequence to it. its always been constant red when i go to the boiler and i when i press it, the red light disappears and the boiler fires up and starts working.

Sponsored Links
I’d say it’s an ignition lockout based on the fault finding?

thanks so much. please see picture. my boiler has a single button at the front and the red light comes on behind/around the reset button. currently working so its not showing the red light.

Attachments

• boiler3.jpg
    boiler3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 931
  • boiler2.jpg
    boiler2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 535
  • boiler 1.jpg
    boiler 1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 576
British gas do not make anything, the Potterton precision was a rebadged boiler so BG could sell them and pretend it was their boiler, Potterton/ Baxi and main are all the same company, yours looks like some sort of Main variant, but not sure which one, when was it last serviced properly ? as @Chris_W says it sounds like ignition lock out but may not be the actual boiler it could be other things, I would recommend a Baxi fixed price repair if they still cover that model

serviced every year in February. last service was feb last year so due a service soon. i will get the service engineer sooner then. many thanks

Make sure that it is properly srtip serviced and not just a Flue gas analasis which all the big guys do now, it is a total rip off, make sure you tell the engineer aabout the first fire lock outs, dont just expect them to find the fault during a service

out of interest, should the circulating pump near the hot water cylinder come on first before the boiler fires up? the pump was replaced about 2 months ago as the previous one was struggling and very noisy. i have since noticed the new pump always comes on first for maybe a minute before the boiler fires up. is that the correct sequence please?

Yes, it goes from: programmer - call for heat/hot water/both - motorised valve end switch - pump/boiler on.

out of interest, should the circulating pump near the hot water cylinder come on first before the boiler fires up? the pump was replaced about 2 months ago as the previous one was struggling and very noisy. i have since noticed the new pump always comes on first for maybe a minute before the boiler fires up. is that the correct sequence please?
Yes perfectly normal that is not your fault

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back