British Gas Power Flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Last year we installed a new Vaillant Ecotec 428 open vented boiler. At the time, the Corgi installer did flush the system to an extent but he did not have the high pressure Power Flush equipment.

Recently, when replacing a towel rail style rad, we noticed a lot of black sludgy water came out of the old one which leads me to believe that a quantity of sludge is still in the system and I suppose, causes the system to not be totally efficient.

British Gas have quoted for 'Power Flushing' and they guarantee to get rid of all the sludge with the use of chemicals and the Power Flush machine.

Anyone experienced British Gas and this service? It's quite expensive and before I go ahead, I wondered if any of you guys had any comments......

Thanks in advance :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Most boiler installers have a Power Flush machine in the way that most gardeners own a shovel.

You could go to BG for a Powerflush or a good independent.

Shame you used a chancer to install the boiler in the first place - if you'd chosen someone decent you'd have had a Powerflush and a 5yr warranty included.

Would have thought a spade was more useful. But then I usually call a spade a shovel. I`ll ask the gardener next time I see him on the estate.Funny you should mention a "chancer" the gardener is called Chance the Gardener. Exellent fellow.

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen a black inhibitor???? Which make is that?

Most boiler installers have a Power Flush machine in the way that most gardeners own a shovel.

You could go to BG for a Powerflush or a good independent.

Shame you used a chancer to install the boiler in the first place - if you'd chosen someone decent you'd have had a Powerflush and a 5yr warranty included.

Having checked it out with a lot of Corgi installers in the area, none of them have the kit that BG uses but rely on mains pressure for flushing whilst BG put chemicals into the system - leave it for 7-10 days and then use a powerwasher type machine to clean it through.

Just fit a magnaclean twintech on the boiler return and save yourself £500 Quid. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you have installed a TwinTech, being recently retired.

On paper it looks good, in practice it should come in a box with a picture of Mickey Mouse on it.

When they leak, you get a vague apology and another free one. If you moan, you get two free ones. We've fitted three, two were defective in so far that the bowl would not make a watertight seal with the base moulding.

I like to support British companies, but Adey are beyond the pale. It is cheap plastic toot.

Fit a Spirovent, they had it first (as you know, DIA), and there is a new one for people whose head is turned by MAGNETS. Woo!

Spirovent were filtering magnetic, and non magnetic detritous, out of heating systems when Mr Adey was in short pants.

I don't know if you have installed a TwinTech, being recently retired.

Fit a Spirovent, they had it first (as you know, DIA), and there is a new one for people whose head is turned by MAGNETS. Woo!

Spirovent were filtering magnetic, and non magnetic detritous, out of heating systems when Mr Adey was in short pants.

Nope not fitted a twintech :oops:

Purchased a spirovent for in doors when/if I get around to it.

Is it true that you don't need an inhibitor added to the system if you have a Spirovent?

Strange that no independent installer in your area has a powerflush kit.
bg are extremely expensive, and no better than an independent who knows what to do, and is willing to do it.
If you can't find a decent indpenedent, your next best bet is to have a magnaclean installed, the standard one and not the twintech, followed by 2 or 3 chemical flushes.
How many stages depends on how much gunk is in the system and whether it is mainly iron oxide or limescale.
You could play safe and just use 3 different ones, e.g. Kemco Hyperflush which stays in 2 - 4 weeks to soften it all up, Sentinel X800 which stays in only one day, and finish of with Fernox F3 that stays in for about a week.
After that the system needs a very thorough rinse to remove all cleaner and debris.
Final steps is to add sufficient amounts of a quality inhibitor.
This should double the life expectancy of your boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back