power flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
How do I know as a layman, if my central heating system needs a power flush.
I have a combi boiler and a micro bore heating system.
I have a 3 year old Baxi combi boiler which was fitted by a heating engineer. He did not flush the system when the boiler was fitted and I have since had a new heat exchanger fitted to the boiler.
This was done by British gas, as I had a loud whine coming from the boiler when the central heating started up from cold.
The original heat exchanger did appear to have a lot of sludge in it when the engineer flushed it out with water.
The whine from the boiler has since disappeared but I still have a whine from the heating system.
I have been advised by British gas to have a power flush.
Please any advice would be appriciated.

regards Mick Foster

Sponsored Links
best to pay someone else for a second opinion then decide whether you need it flushed

:)

Did the whine last for about ten mins on cold start up. The baxi guys who say that has nothing to do with dirt but gas pressure too high.

you could always give it a clean yourself, will cost you a bit of time, plus about £15 for the chemical cleaner, the same for inhibitor when you've finished, and, if you can afford it, about £100 for a Magnaclean on the return to capture sediment in future.

Fairly straightforward DIY job.

Sponsored Links
Did the whine last for about ten mins on cold start up. The baxi guys who say that has nothing to do with dirt but gas pressure too high.
The noise did disapear after 10 - 15 mins but I must admit after the heat exchanger was changed, I do not have the problem.
The engineer may have adjusted the gas pressure, after fitting the new heat exchanger but I could not say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back