British Gas RC+ Central Heating Controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Mother who is in her 80's has had a RC+ RF 316/22560 fitted a couple of years ago. She has always had a problem programming it.
Now it is getting warmer she wants to switch the central heating side of the combi boiler off.
She has tried to do as it sways in the instruction: Hold the + and - buttons simultaneously down for 5 seconds and wait for the display to show OFF.
This doesn't work and she currently has doors open to cool the house down.
Please can you offer some advice on what she can try before sending for an engineer (again) [she has had engineers out to set up the programmer before]. Should she power it all down to reset it?

Sponsored Links
She has tried to do as it says in the instruction: Hold the + and - buttons simultaneously down for 5 seconds and wait for the display to show OFF.
I'm sorry, but your mother isn't following the instructions properly. Here they are:

Set to Auto or Man
Press < and > simultaneously for 3 seconds. This take you to the User Options
Press > to scroll through to Option 8. It will show "Off"
Press + or - key to change it to "ON"
Press > to accept the change
Press < and > simultaneously for 3 seconds.

The boiler will now stay off for CH unless the temperature falls below 7C.

The "off" and "on" settings are confusing as they work the opposite way round to what you would expect. That's because they are changing the "off function". When set to "off", the Off Function is disabled, i.e the boiler will stay on; when set to "on" the Off Function is enabled, i.e the boiler will turn off.

When your mum wants the heating on again, Option 8 needs to be set to "Off".

Why go into the installer settings? Talk about confusing the situation.

She just needs set it to manual. To do this press < once, set the temperature to 15c and walk away. Come the winter all she has to do is press > and the programmer will return to Automatic. :)

It's clear to see which mode the programmer is in, a arrow will point to 'Man' or 'Auto' and < & > move this arrow between modes.

Sponsored Links
can't she just keep it simple and turn off the heating at the boiler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back