British Gas

Nige F said:
markie said:
I would of call B/G Dick turpin, but Dick Turpin stole to give to the poor, :LOL:
that was robin Hood :rolleyes:

Ok ok, no need for the eyes, :LOL: When i wrote it i was saying to myself Dick or Robin, then i decided it was Dick. The good thing about this forum is, when you make a cock-up people let you know no question asked, :LOL:

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Buy a ground source heat pump - half your heating bill in one move, and no more gas bills!

Invest your cash in my new invention and it wont cost you a penny for your electric just a small set up fee of £30.000 for a life time of free electricity and their is no hard sales involved.

ps. only those who life at the side of a stream need apply.

BOB you`d have Trouble at `t Mill sooner or later...........Markie you should`ve phoned a friend ;)

I noticed an advert on telly last night, where BG promise to hold the current price for the next year and then a guaranteed price drop towards the end of next year.

Presumably they have analysed what they predict is going to happen to the wholesale gas price, so maybe there's some better news coming ??

Sponsored Links
I just switched to a different supplier after years of bad service from bg,.
Arrogent Rude and Greedy ,Good old british gas YOU MUST BE JOKING
Just thought id have my two pennys worth. :mad:

Crafty, whilst you seem to be a fan of heatpumps I have yet to be able to calculate any benefit at properties served by a piped gas supply.

Can you give a proper reasoned explanation of how they can be a benefit based on typical current gas prices of 3.8p/kW and electricity prices of 10.8 p/kW.

Tony

Agile said:
Can you give a proper reasoned explanation of how they can be a benefit based on typical current gas prices of 3.8p/kW and electricity prices of 10.8 p/kW.

Tony
yes, i can. Based on the prices you state, lets assume a large 230m² house, with heating demand of 32,400Kwh per year - heat requirement of 45w/m² for DHW and CH

assuming boiler efficiency of 75%,
Total energy cost for gas: 32,400 x 0.038 x 1.25 = £1539 per year

Electrical consumption for heat pump: 7,500kWh*
Electrical consumption for additional heater: 620kWh

Total running cost (GSHP): 8,120 x 0.108 = £876.96 per year

*The KWH consumption of the heat pump has been based on an efficiency of 400%, which is about average.

I know which one i would choose. Gas will run out. somehow, electric wont. we can and (hopefully) will find alternative ways to generate electric. Yes, i lifted the above info off a website which is trying to flog them, but the figures do add up. http://www.iceenergy.co.uk/heatpumps.asp

Another thing is the maintenance issue. Boilers need to be serviced every year, which adds £100 to the yearly bill. They also have a supposed lifespan of 12 years (i know they last longer than this really), so based on replacement at £1200, over 25 years, a gas system could cost £4900 more than an electric system. Electric heat pumps cost nothing to service - clean some air handlers, but this can be done by the home owner. Gas boiler efficiency decreases towards the end of its life, adding more to fuel bills as well.

Have i sold you yet?

Could I ask you to edit the gas boiler efficiency to 90% as thats representative of current condensing units.

Also to edit the gas boiler service to £55 as thats what we charge!

You have quoted an extra 820 kW which is I think to boost the output temperature because the low grade heat output can only give about 30 C temp gain. I am not sure thats enough though. Can you cost that in as a gas consumption rather than electric please.

I know that its not generally agreed but most sources I hear think that a compressor unit life of five years before expensive recharging or replacement may be required. If they were so reliable then the makers would give more then 12 months warranty.

When you have done that I expect to point out an interesting aspect that is often overlooked.

Tony

Gas: 32400 x 0.038 / .9 = £1368 py.
plus £3775 maintenance over 25 years

Gosh, what a difference a new boiler makes! might show this to my mum! :LOL: and isn't 75% average? I mean, efficiency declines over the lifespan doesn't it?

"low grade heat output"? how do you mean? have you ever stood under a heat pump air con unit? they kick out a hell of a lot of heat. I expect a "whole house" system to do just as well, particularly ground source. Not sure why the heater though, to be honest. IIRC, the heat pumps dont actually circulate refrigerant in the ground loop. Water and some anti-freeze agent, with the heat captured by the refrigerant coils inside the big box with all the gubbins in it.

A new compressor - how much will that cost? maybe £200 plus £100 fitting? But i would not expect to replace a compressor until maybe 5 or 10 years down the line. Compressors are a proven technology - they are very reliable machines.

But this only puts the maintenance at £900, maybe £1200 if i have been overly cheap with my estimates. Cheaper than all that servicing and system replacement ;)

Whats this interesting aspect then? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back