Britonny II - Hot Water Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Brittony II wall mounted boiler for the hot water in my house. This was working fine until recently - now when a tap is turned on the water is either still cold or luke warm or sometimes hot. It often takes a number of attempts to get hot water. When I look at the flames through the view port on the boiler often the flames are roaring away yet still no hot water. I'm keen to have some idea of the problem before getting in a plumber so i can at least have some level of conversation with them. Any info greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
The diaphragm in the water section is stretched and not fully moving the pin that brings on the main gas and so not heating water properly . Half hour repair and about a tenner for part

Thanks namsag - sounds like I should be able to do it myself. Are diaphrams standard sizes? How do I know which to buy as I'd rather do that before removing the old one to save being boilerless. Know of any drawings online?

There is a couple of different diaphragms that fit the britony correct one can be got by having the GC number of aqppliance and wether LP or HP model. Not really a diy job as if the pin is damaged during removal and relacement of water section the appliance can stay on when the tap is turned off and results in BANG.

Sponsored Links
ok - thanks. I'll call a plumber but at least I can give an idea of the job that needs doing.

Spot on, that was the problem - diaphragm now replaced and hot showers once more!! Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back