britony combi boiler not igniting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, total loss as to what is wrong with my boiler, worked fine but now no hot water, does not seem to be igniting, gets to the ignition stage and then nothing, and the 40 and 80 lights stay on flashing (temperature guage/not sure) i dont know anything about boilers or plumbing i have tried the sensible things like checking power supply, trying the reset button etc but nothing. Any ideas before i call someone out?
Please bear in mind total lack of knowledge when responding so please use laymans terms!!

Sponsored Links
sounds to me like an ignition problem so probably either pcb or gas valve not opening all you can do is check basics really is there pressure in boiler should be about 1 bar and is your gas turned on :rolleyes: if answers are both yes you need to call someone out :confused:

System Pressure top it up.

Failing that suspect the fan wants a clean or the air pressure switch

Sponsored Links
On the Britony Combi 80E the 40 and 80 degree lights flashing indicates lack of system water pressure, so use filling loop to bring pressure up .

chrishutt said:
On the Britony Combi 80E the 40 and 80 degree lights flashing indicates lack of system water pressure, so use filling loop to bring pressure up .

Us west country boys are good :LOL: :LOL: allbeit a tad slow in Bristol :LOL: :LOL:

So don't call Potterton, they might change the gas valve AND the pcb ( after snipping it about ) before realising that it only needs the pressure upped.

The amazing thing is that the three stage gas valve is only about £28 to buy.

Rather less surprising is that the magnetic flow switches act like a Magnaclean.

Tony Glazier

Tony,

the Britony Combi SE (the new version with the diagnostic lights) does have a pressure switch, on the return pipe just above the pump. Perhaps you are thinking of the older Britony, which relied on flow switches on heating and DHW circuits.

OK Chris, I have to blame you for confusing me as you called it a Combi 80 E !

I have only been to one of the later models and that was a quick fix. I did note that it was quite noisy when it stepped up the burner pressure and thought to myself I would not want one at home!

Can you describe the later one in more detail? Does it retain the same diverter, mag flow switches and filter in the CH return?

Apart from the LP switch and flashing lights, what other new features are there?

How many do they sell annually?

Tony Glazier

Tony,

I think you can download the MI from the Chaff. site posted earlier. The SE (sorry about my earlier designation E) seams to be completely new design in whole water section - different diverter (old one unreliable), no mag. flow switches (ditto) and filter is now a flimsy washer type which is supposed to be put in heating return pipe union, but they tend to disintegrate so discard. Better to use in-line filter if necessary.

Also most components are plastic, and as with previous model, mouldings occasionally have tiny pinhole type leaks possibly caused by the plastic containing too many air bubbles? As you mention, they can be noisy on high flame setting, particular problem when using Purimachos Protex inhibitor (e.g. from BES).

Agile said:
So don't call Potterton, they might change the gas valve AND the pcb ( after snipping it about ) before realising that it only needs the pressure upped.

The amazing thing is that the three stage gas valve is only about £28 to buy.

Rather less surprising is that the magnetic flow switches act like a Magnaclean.

Tony Glazier

Tony if you look at my post more closely you will see i told them to check pressure before calling anyone out :p

Hi there, did you manage to fix your Britony Combi SE Boiler. My too has decided to keep flashing on the 40 & 80 lights saying no water pressure when the bar gauge is above 2.
I think I am having ignition problems.

Can you let me know how yours was fixed? Do I need new boiler?

Regards

Robin

I doubt they are still around from 3 years ago :eek:

You would be better to start a new post with your boiler problems.

I bet they still are around, we have the misfortune of having one that has the exact same fault with 40/80 flashing but water pressure is fine along with a couple of PCB's failing over the past 3 years and 'usual' things that go wrong with them like diverter valves scaling up and failing to work correctly and pressure valve internals breaking up and jamming partial open so giving very intermittent hot water due to lack of pressure to operate the diverter valve fully

Very very simple set-up, but also very cheaply made

I believe it was fitted by wifes-ex just before/after they went to condensing boilers have to be fitted in about 2005, so probably got it dirt cheap and like the other bits in the house has had to be gradually put right

And this guy claimed he did house 'renovations'

We are very lucky to be able to still get spares as Baxi use virtually the same boiler but rebranded under their Genesis range

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back