Britony Combi no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help required please. I have searched other posts but can`t find the answer.

I have a Gas Britony Combi 80 boiler. I have DHW working but no CH. I replaced both Throttle valves last year and have removed and cleaned all parts including filter on return, 3 way valve & heat exchanger etc. Pump is running fine, no air in system. It will fire and run for about eight seconds but cuts out. I think it is either the diverter or another throttle head failure but i am not sure if their is a way of testing whilst insitu. I have disonnected the DHW wiring from the throttle head and the water from the tap goes cold and the boiler does not ignite.

Can anyone advise how to test diverter (i have tried tapping it) or throttle heads.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
8 seconds rings a bell as a pcb fault tbh, I'll check it later this afternoon.

Disconnect the DHW flow switch and run the heating. Open the hot tap....if the diverter is stuck in DHW position the water will get hot.

and have removed and cleaned all parts including filter on return, 3 way valve & heat exchanger

Bo¦¦ocks! If you managed to get that valve out then you would have done more with it than just clean it.

Diverter is probably faulty and can be tested as gasguru suggested although getting it in and out isn't that easy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gasguru, i did as you said and was getting hot water constantly so it looks like the diverter.

Rob884, i am not sure if you are talking about the same boiler as after draining i can remove the valve in about 5-10 mins easy. If you have not removed it in a long time you can have problems with the heat exchanger screw sheering in the heat exchanger, but once removed and the new bolt is covered with grease or coppaslip, i never seem to have a problem. Stripping and rebuilding an Eaton Twin Splitter gearbox from a truck is complicated but not removal of this valve. Also what did you mean about doing something other than cleaning the valve when removed as i cant see that there is anything else you can do with it?

Also can anyone suggest a decent supplier to get a replacement from and at what sort of cost.

Many thanks

Thanks Gasguru, New diverter fitted and working fine. Your help was greatly appreciated

Hi, I have similar problems and have posted on another thread about this. One thing that comes to mind - how can I rule out any motor problems? Is it likely I will just need a diverter or could it be the valve motor potentially? I think this is past my DIY skills but I'm thinking of trying to help the plumber I eventually get in.

I think this is past my DIY skills but I'm thinking of trying to help the plumber I eventually get in.

I would hope anyone you call will know more than you would about how to repair the boiler.

Otherwise you have called the wrong person!

Tony

:D Me too!

I think I have narrowed it down to diverter valve - I can hear a whirr in the area around the valve which sounds like the motor if I listen carefully when I cycle the power. What sort of price am I looking at paying a plumber for the repair?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back