Broadband on replacement computer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have broadband access on my current PC who's O/S is Win 98SE.
I hope soon to get a replacement PC (with either WinXP or Vista).
How do I get broadband access on my new PC ?
Is it a matter of uninstalling the access software from my old PC and installing on the new PC (plus reinstalling upgrades) or what ?
All help gratefully reveived.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
you dont even have to uninstall it first.

Depending on your current setup, just follow the orginal instructions that you got when you ordered broadband.

your isp would (?) have sent you a set up cd, use that

no point in removing bb from old pc, if other one gives up, you can plug old one back in

Sponsored Links
if you are thinking what i think you are thinking then he will still have to install some software for it to recognise the router (well i had to on mine)

On my computer (Win XP) the router plugs via a patch lead into the network port, no software etc needed for connection purposes, just used explorer to set it up but once done forgot about. (I had to install AOHell stuff for my email though.)

breezer said:
if you are thinking what i think you are thinking then he will still have to install some software for it to recognise the router (well i had to on mine)

Only for a USB connection.

I'm not going to try and explain how a router works after last time lol
but bascially if its a router using standard patch cables (rather than USB, which, IMO should not be used for networks anyway) then you will have to do nothing more than plug it in.

BazzaS said:
I have broadband access on my current PC who's O/S is Win 98SE.
I hope soon to get a replacement PC (with either WinXP or Vista).
How do I get broadband access on my new PC ?
Is it a matter of uninstalling the access software from my old PC and installing on the new PC (plus reinstalling upgrades) or what ?
All help gratefully reveived.
Thanks

IME the softwaree isn't actually needed once the boradband router is setup unless it's connected via USB. If you connect it via cat 5 it's usually a case of plug and play if your moden has a build in DHCP server. If not then a little manual configuration is required. Setting up gateways, dns etc.

Sponsored Links
Back