Broadband problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My sister, who lives out in the country, was quite happy with her broadband performance (Tiscali) until about 2 months ago. Since then she has not been able to get online at all. Several neighbours also started having difficulties and one of them suggested that it may have something to do with telephone & power lines recently having been buried to avoid running across a particular property. Sounds possible to me. Yesterday the BT man came out, did some testing and suggested it was because her line had been upgraded, without her being told, and that caused the problem. He dismissed the possibility of interference for the recently-buried cables. I am not convinced. Anybody got any experience or idea and where should she go from here?
Superscoot

Sponsored Links
I suffered similar when I upgraded to Orange broadband. I was constantly contacting their customer service dept - got fobbed of with script jockeys telling me that line testing taking place BT fault etc etc. I did ask for my MAC address to enable me to change provider. They told me that it would cost £124 as I had only just started contract and would need to be 1 month without service before it would be FOC - strangely 1 day before the deadline I was back in service! Not that this helps you but I do sympathise.

FWIW some suggestions:

1. If not done already contact Tiscali and explain situation also stating what BT man said.

2. Check that you are not paying for service and Tiscali will refund etc if you are.

3. Make it clear that you cannot survive without service and unless it can be resolved quickly you will have to ask for your MAC address and get a new provider.

4. Can they set up a dial up account temporarily without charge (assume that you will need internet access) - will they reimburse you for call charges should the fault be theirs?

5. Do some research on other broadband providers in your area so you can be prepared to change quickly if nec.

Good luck

Cheers :D
Tony

its a slim possibility, but forthe likes of us who live in towns, all phone limes are underground untill they get tto the pole.

ISP is contracted to supply a service which they are not doing, remind them of this

Sponsored Links
Back