Broadband slower when it should be faster. New router!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wireless broadband connection using a Belkin modem/router. Everything was fine until it packed in the other week. So i bought a new one which is faster. Belkin G plus Mimo @ speed 54mps.

Since this has been working its slower loading pages up and streaming takes forever. The network also keep disappering after a few minutes and i need to repair the connection to start working again.
Ive tried new micro filter, turning cordless phones off, plugging into master socket and still it keeps happening.

The wireless says its connected and when i click status the network name is flashing intermittantly and the speed goes down to 1mps and back to 54 mps

Can anyone offer any help please.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The faster speed only has relevance to data transfer really, as your broadband speed wouldn'y have troubled the old router.

It sounds more like interference. When you check for local wifi networks , are there others as wel as your own ? What channels are they broadcasting on ? What channel is your router broadcasting on ? Does the laptop behave better when it is within visual range of the router ? If you change the encryption key and type , does that help ?

Just a few things to be getting on with :LOL:

There are about 5 other networks about which are residential houses like mine. I have changed the channels a number of times and still no luck. Will check on the other points but dont see that should be a problem as this router is better. The old one i could use anywhere in the house no problem yet this one im only 10 feet away through a thin wall. Very annoying but will check only the others, thanks.

but dont see that should be a problem as this router is better

Other than the wifi speed , which I have already told you has no relevance , what is better about it ?

Sponsored Links
There are about 5 other networks about which are residential houses like mine. I have changed the channels a number of times and still no luck. Will check on the other points but dont see that should be a problem as this router is better. The old one i could use anywhere in the house no problem yet this one im only 10 feet away through a thin wall. Very annoying but will check only the others, thanks.

But was your old router set to the same channel as the new one?

There can be a massive difference, If i set mine to channel 1 for example my throughput drops horribly.

Also, cordless phones seem to be a common source of interference.

Im not sure about my old channel. I did have problems with that and changed channels and that worked with the old one. Im at work now so cant do anything but will go through channels one by one. I do have a cordless next to it but unplugged that so the phone was completley disconnected.

Boxcleva, i was guessing because this is a new one and more up to date than my other that was a few years old then surely it should work in a range of ten feet. I take it i shouldnt take it for granted. Will check all these first thing in morning.

Thanks guys!

Ok i sat right next to the router and it seemed ok. I also changed channels a few time and 2 seems ok so far with no silly dissconnections etc but the streaming of videos is is still slower than before. I used to be able to watch in one smooth motion, now its buffering every few seconds.

My brother had the same problem with his BT hub. Tried everything changing channel, removing extensions, swapping micro-filters. Even the hub was changed and the same problems arose with the new one.

A BT engineer fitted an adapter which takes the place of the usual faceplate. It has two sockets RJ-11 (phone) and RJ-45 (for broadband) instead of the single socket. Google this;
BT Engineers' ADSL Filter/Splitter Adaptor Faceplate for BT NTE5-type Master boxes

Brother has had no trouble since it was fitted.

My brother had the same problem with his BT hub. Tried everything changing channel, removing extensions, swapping micro-filters. Even the hub was changed and the same problems arose with the new one.

A BT engineer fitted an adapter which takes the place of the usual faceplate. It has two sockets RJ-11 (phone) and RJ-45 (for broadband) instead of the single socket. Google this;
BT Engineers' ADSL Filter/Splitter Adaptor Faceplate for BT NTE5-type Master boxes

Brother has had no trouble since it was fitted.

He states that connection is better when in close proximity of the router. So what that has to do with having an NTE5 socket with inbuilt filter is anyones guess :rolleyes:

Back to the topic. OP, the problem obviously lies in the transmition / reception of that signal. Ideally you would be a couple of channels away from those that are near you. Also check the obvious , i.e aerial properly screwed in etc. Also try changing the SSID and security type.

Does the buffering stop if you disble wireless and plug the network cable into your laptop and router ?

Boxcleva I was only offering some advice. The OP stated that it 'seemed' okay if they were closer to the router but the buffering problem remained even in that situation. The exact same scenario occured with my brothers BT hub (router) - he used a video from Youtube as the benchmark each time he made a change to his system to rule out what did and didn't work for him.

Changing the faceplate worked for him so if the OP is using a BT line then it might work for them too. :idea:

You did not need to be so derisory. :(

Sponsored Links
Back