Broken Bar Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know nothing about these devices but the shower head leaks when valve is in the off position and there’s increased flow of the leakage and a whistling sound if I turn on another tap in the bathroom.

Am I right is assuming that you can’t get parts for these shower bars and you just replace the whole thing?

Another problem I have is I don’t have a clue what make the attachment is - there’s no branding on it at all. I’ve attached a few pics - I guess if I’m going to replace, like for like would be good.

Attachments

• 20221123_115028.jpg
    20221123_115028.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221123_115044.jpg
    20221123_115044.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221123_115155.jpg
    20221123_115155.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221123_115208.jpg
    20221123_115208.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Yes you can get parts, a lot of these generic bar showers just use a standard 1/4 turn ceramic valve, the trick is getting the same amount of splines so the cover fits properly.

Alternatively you can get a replacement but as I guess it is a rainshower head given the diverter, the trick will be getting one where the rigid riser has the same mounting spots so the holes in the wall are similar.

So the leaking happens when the tap that switches between the rain shower and the flexible hose attachment is positioned on the rain shower. If I switch to the other position I get no leaking. That said, it makes a lot of whistling sounds when I turn on another bathroom tap regardless of what position it’s in

Sponsored Links
Whistling when another tap is on is typical of a 1/4 turn ceramic valve passing, especially where the mains water pressure is higher. If it was the on/off valve passing though I would expect it to drip from the handset too. The diverter could be loose and when it's at that setting it's releasing the water that's being held in the rain shower head and it then drips.

You really need someone reputable in to take a look at it.

I was wrong, it does drip on the handset too. Not sure which part I need to look at here - I can get to the cartridge but presumably the on/off valve is at the other end of the bar and it looks like I can’t remove the end cap from there like I can the other end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back