Broken clay sewage pipe. Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a broken clay sewage pipe. The down-pipe carries waste from the upstairs bathroom. Please can anybody advise the best way to fix this?

I'm amusing I cant just replace the clay elbow with a plastic elbow because I'd need some kind of joiner to connect clay to plastic? Please help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you still got the piece that was unwittingly hacked out when excavating? That could possibly be repaired if you have and it's in one piece.

You can use a plastic bend and an AC4000 connector to join it to the clay.

Your problem will be that you have 2 clay collars very close together, they will both need to go, and your pipe is covered with concrete.

Chances are the concrete will be quite brittle and by removing both collars you will have more room to work.

Sponsored Links
I'll expand on Ian's advice if I may. You need to dig back and expose some more of the clay pipe, going off to the right of the picture, and carefully remove the concrete to expose about 6" of pipe behind the collar. Using an angle grinder, carefully cut off the collar, leaving a stub of clay pipe, (I always chamfer the edges, internal and external to remove any sharp edges or points where debris can catch.)

You then need a clay to plastic collar, such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-underground-flexible-adaptor-110mm/19914, which will join you to plastic. Run a short piece of plastic pipe to bend, fit bend, and again, short piece of plastic to join existing stack, then use a slip coupler to join new plastic drain to stack. Protect new drain with peagravel, then backfill, and reinstate as required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back