Broken Glass Front

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Mother has a Glow worm Saxony 2 BBU Fire Front.
It's a cast iron fire with fake coal fitted. This is all behind a glass screen.
Recently the glass has cracked. The Fire (and back boiler) is only 13 years old and works well but she has been told that the glass is no longer available and she needs to replace both the back boiler and the fire.
Does anyone know where I could get the glass (could I have it made specially anywhere?)
If it's any help the fire is G.C. No 37 047 11 and the back boiler is a Glow-worm 45/2 Back Boiler Unit (GC No 44-315 39)

Thanks for ny advice / help you can offer

Sponsored Links
Firstly, please don't use the fire, this could allow fumes into the room and the glass could fail under heat and burst.
That aside if you can't source the glass ( it has to be the specific part you can't ad hock a gas appliance) you could have the fire disconnected from the gas supply by an registered gas installer. It has to stay in place to allow the bbu to be used even though the fire doesn't work.
Who told you it wasn't available?

The British Gas Engineer who came to look at it.
She won't use the gas fire but has been told that the back boiler is still ok to run in this condition.
I'm looking everywhere I can for the glass. Any help would be much appreciated.

The part is showing up as available online but you would have to contact the suppliers to confirm availability. The part may show up as obsolete on bg's system but that doesn't mean it's unavailable! Also you could try contacting glowworm to confirm availability. It's a safety critical part so I'm afraid I can't advise on here how to source and fit ect, sorry.

Sponsored Links
The part is showing up as available online but you would have to contact the suppliers to confirm availability. The part may show up as obsolete on bg's system but that doesn't mean it's unavailable! Also you could try contacting glowworm to confirm availability. It's a safety critical part so I'm afraid I can't advise on here how to source and fit ect, sorry.
One other thing "1983". You said it's showing up as available. Do you have a couple of places you know where it's showing up please.

Thanks

It shows as non available and not manufactured by Gas app spares, who are pretty reliable, That is not to say someone has not got one, try looking at ebay - someone may be trying to flog an old unit. (I have several Baxi glasses for sale)

1983 - you are right to be cautious, but the MI's probably instruct the user to periodically remove and clean the glass, thus making removal and replacement a user function.

Thanks Fireman T,
The gas engineer said they would fit it if we could find one as she pays a lot on her service plan.
I wouldn't dream of fitting it myself.
Last thing I want is for folks to hear about a house going BOOM because of a sin trying to save his Mother some money.

Fair point fireman,
No offence to the op but I don't know how capable he is at removing replacing it so airing on the side of safety as usual ;)

It shows as non available and not manufactured by Gas app spares, who are pretty reliable, That is not to say someone has not got one, try looking at ebay - someone may be trying to flog an old unit. (I have several Baxi glasses for sale)

1983 - you are right to be cautious, but the MI's probably instruct the user to periodically remove and clean the glass, thus making removal and replacement a user function.

Have read this post and please don't think I am being pedantic in anyway as all posters make valid points, in my humble opinion however a user removing the existing glass , cleaning it and replacing it is a user control, a customer ordering and replacing the same glass without the ability to test it is a completely different matter , how can the user confirm that they have a suitable replacement ?

Oh for fek sake its a bit of glass as you say is part of user instructions how to remove and clean stop trying to make it sound like rocket science that needs someone at £84 to fit it

Hi Guys

Let's stay calm here.

As she pays for the B.Gas Service Plan they have said that they will assess and fit the glass Free of Charge as the plan will cover this.

Noone will go near this unless they are qualified.

Really, thanks for your help

If you find it at a major suppliers inform BG as they may actually pay for it too. As when a part is obsolete from manufacturers they are meant to try and find it from the other part suppliers out there (not little one shop companies though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back