Broken gutter support bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a known bodge for a broken gutter support bracket without replacing it? To replace it would involve unclipping a long section of a 30 year old gutter, risking breaking more brackets or other bits. I want to add support at the broken bracket. Is there any special products for that?

I am thinking of mounting a stainless steel 90 degree angled bracket sideways under the gutter to give it support. Any flaws to this plan?

gutter.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know what you mean by side ways! Why not just use it like a shelf bracket to support the guttering?

if its plastic gutter? get another bracket ,remove the back top lug, hook the front one over , swing it into the position it should sit and screw from underneath

I don't know what you mean by side ways! Why not just use it like a shelf bracket to support the guttering?
On its side as pictured. Not sure if there is enough space for shelf-bracket like.

if its plastic gutter? get another bracket ,remove the back top lug, hook the front one over , swing it into the position it should sit and screw from underneath
It's Marley Flowline. The bracket mounting points would be blocked by the gutter.

bracket.png

Sponsored Links
For some reason I thought you where talking about cast iron guttering!
If its just plastic why can't you just screw through the back of the guttering and into the fascia?

Lol... its plastic! Data has already told you how to do it without making it into a bodge.

Not everyone is a roofer. I played on flat roofs as a kid, and that is all the roofing experience I have. You have to explain in a way a non-roofer can understand. Not clear how I can screw the bracket on from underneath. Are you saying I put on a screw in the arrow direction?

Also what is "back top lug"? The only lugs I know are lug bolts/nuts. Are you talking about the hook at the top of the plastic bracket, and I should chop it off?

catlad's idea of screwing through the gutter, I presume with a new and chopped support bracket in place, sounds like a known bodge. But this only looks good when dealing with a customer. Fixing the gutter in place will not allow for expansion and contraction and might cause problems. Still, it's good to know a quickie trade bodge. I learn to be a roofer quick :)

screw.png

Last edited:
Wanna be sarcastic , work it out for your self.
What cat said would also work and won't stop expansion or contraction either .

Wanna be sarcastic , work it out for your self.
When it comes to sarcasm, I am a total pro. But I have used none here. You could be projecting, maybe others have picked on you too hard. To be a master sarkky, you really must try not letting others get to you.

For mechanical strength, the mounting screw needs to be as high as possible. To use a screw from underneath, at best I could get a screw half way up the bracket spine. With the screw not being perpendicular to the wood weakens the hold. This is another trade bodge, and nice to know. It's a better bodge than catlad's. If I were to use this, I would go in with 2 new brackets. If I am dealing with a customer's gutter, I can get away with one bracket and the work warranty expires after a week. When dealing with my own gutter, I would go for greater reliability for less maintenance.

Catlad's bodge can work if there aren't any bodges there already left by the house builder. As a DIYer I don't have simultaneous access to the entire gutter. Catlad's bodge can work, but potential risks are too high for me to take.

But, thanks for the solutions. They are interesting.

Last edited:
After some thinking, I have the final solution. I will combine datarebal's trade bodge with my DIY bodge. The trade bodge will keep the gutter in shape, and the DIY bodge will add strength. The marley gutter sits with a tilt. The DIY bodge alone will not be ideal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back