Broken gutter support bracket

After some thinking, I have the final solution. I will combine datarebal's trade bodge with my DIY bodge. The trade bodge will keep the gutter in shape, and the DIY bodge will add strength. The marley gutter sits with a tilt. The DIY bodge alone will not be ideal.

As it is plastic gutter, it will have some flexibility - why can you not just push it up or down enough to get to the screws? you only need an inch or two.

Sponsored Links
Ever thought of drilling the hole a bit bigger than the screw!
Nope, I wouldn't even dream of it. This is the difference between doing a customer's gutter and your own. I suspect your own gutter must be full of holes.

As it is plastic gutter, it will have some flexibility - why can you not just push it up or down enough to get to the screws? you only need an inch or two.
Doing weight lifting is a bad idea 7-8 meters up. Standing still and do nothing is best.

You are obviously not a roofer. If you press it down, the bracket goes down. If you push it up, the hooked bracket goes up.

Last edited:
You are obviously not a roofer. If you press it down, the bracket goes down. If you push it up, the hooked bracket goes up.
Not if the bracket is unclipped from the gutter first - then the gutter will be reasonably easy to move.

Not if the bracket is unclipped from the gutter first - then the gutter will be reasonably easy to move.
Not using the reinforced screw holes makes the fixing weak and also weakens the bracket plastic. So, there's no escape from needing to add support. Being able to place the screw slightly higher won't make a difference. The trade bodges make it look good, but not function good. For my own stuff, I rate function and longevity above all else.

Sponsored Links
I rate function and longevity above all
damage to the board was caused by a leak between roof tiles. I am thinking of sealing the leak with the following hybrid polymer sealant. It will be a thick bead, and I need it to last forever.

damage to the board was caused by a leak between roof tiles. I am thinking of sealing the leak with the following hybrid polymer sealant. It will be a thick bead, and I need it to last forever.
Your point is what? In any case, I made the seal today using the stated product and it should be good until the sealant fails. It shouldn't fail however because it's a thick bead that filled-to-flush the entire gap between two roof tiles. A large portion of the bead is hidden and protected from UV.

The trade bodge wasn't quite satisfactory. From the customer's P.O.V. on the ground, they would be none the wiser.

trade-bodge.png

DIY bodge to the rescue. Not quite how I planned it. The original plan didn't feel quite strong enough. There was just enough room for shelf-like, and I went with that. The bracket and screws are stainless steel. That's me done for the back of the house, and in good time while it is still warm.

diy-bodge.png

The screws to low duh!
And the gutters not fitted properly anyway .. needs a master bater gun I guess ...

Last edited:
That bodge is akin to putting duct tape on a car. Why not invest the time and effort to repair properly instead of hodgepodging a bracket like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back