Broken MultiPoint gearbox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've got a problem with our front UPVC door.

The mutli-point lock is engaged and the door is "locked" but the spindle "bar" where the door handles connect to the gearbox is damaged (it's one solid bar, not a split "bar" type).

Such that when you try to unlock the door the handle goes up and down but it is totally "slack".
Nothing within the mechanism is engaged at all.

Having removed the handle i can see that the part on the gearbox where the "spindle" goes through has partially disintegrated.

That "hole" is now wider than it should be and it's appears the bar is just slipping around which means it won't engage with the shoot bolts, claws, etc).

As the door is locked / closed and the handle won't engage the mechanism i can't get at the front edge of the door to take it apart and remove the unit and replace it.

Is there any other way i can get the door open and replace without having to butcher the door?

cheers,
--
Richard

Sponsored Links
Can you remove the hinge pins and then remove the door?

Can you remove the hinge pins and then remove the door?

Haven't tried that yet.
It's an "anti-lift" door with shoot bolts top and bottom + claws.
I suspect not but it's on my "to try" list.

Sponsored Links
Just as an update.
I did manage to get it to release although it took a few hours and cost me some blood.
The part where the spindle goes through came out in 4 parts when i removed the gearbox from the door.
I've even managed to source the same gearbox, which is a surprise after 10 years so it was an easy fix once i got it open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back