Broken shower, advice for a refit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above really.
I have a 7.5kw Triton T80si electric shower (at least 6 years old) and it has leaked water out the rear down the wall on the right (as you view) which is where the water feed is.
It has now stopped working, there is power to it as the neon light comes on when the power cord is pulled.
I have read numerous conflicting stories on here and other places regarding the need for Part P clearance as such and also regarding the wiring, which i shall contact the council about to be certain.
I intend to buy a like for like shower (as much as i can) and install a Triton T80Z for the sake of ease rather than anything else. However i can only find 8.5kw.
The issues being:
The electrics are red and black wiring not brown and blue, unsure on size but including the cover 13mm wide x 6mm deep.
The isolator pull cord is approx 13 meters from the fuse box (cartridge type with wire in them)
The bathroom is on the 1st floor, fuse box in cupboard on ground floor.
The shower fuse has a 30a marking - have not compared the thickness of the wire though.
Is this is simple as taking one and replacing with another?
Or; if i have to get an 8.5kw model is this likely to require a load of rewiring and therefore to big a job to take on?
many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
you can still get the Triton t80si screwfix best price, the wiring depends on what you've got, you will need an RCD so to be honest you're better getting in a sparky to check it out first, yes it will cost but water and electricity, better be safe than sorry, also are you sure shower is not repairable ?, some pics might help

Thanks for that.
I'll try and get some photos on later today.
I assume its knackered as it leaked and then stopped - i had forgot to say in original post it had stopped intermittently over last few days.

it has leaked water out the rear down the wall on the right (as you view) which is where the water feed is.
It has now stopped working, there is power to it as the neon light comes on when the power cord is pulled.

sounds like the stabiliser valve is leaking and leaked onto the solenoid coil causing it to fail.

common on this model.

Sponsored Links
that must be some kind of leak you have the bottom tco's corroded aswell.

Yeah it did gush quite a bit.
Also you can make out the scorching? mark on the top of the blue wire which is on the left side at the top of the can.
Would this be dead un then?

yes thats more likely caused by a loose spade connection
to the heat can element.
thats why they are now screw fitted now rather than spade connectors.

Thanks for that, i haven't checked any of the upper connections i must admit. I had spent most of my time looking at the lower and right side of the assembly where i assumed the problems lay.
from what has been seen, would it need a new one installed?

yes new one needed, they useally fail where the plastic pin comes out the top of the
stabiliser valve the pin moves up/down when shower is turned on/off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back