Broken stop cock HELLP!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi just moved in to an old 1900 house pipe works a mess, stop cock in house is half way up a wall and cemented in. only slows the flow off water(dose not work).
and the oust side stop cock had cement in it(the one on the street that we cant use)
called them to get it cleared. did that but it dose not shut the water off its leaking and just keeps turning.
what are my options?

Sponsored Links
If the “water board” one is leaking they should fix it, you could opt for a water meter, they incorporate a shut off vale but that’s a double edged sword I would avoid having one as long as possible!

Your main worry will be that the pipe in the wall may well be lead and any pulling about will be risky as it becomes very brittle with age. As long as the tap inside does not leak find the first bit of copper in the house and use a pipe freezing kit on it, lots of DIY CO2 kits out there, might be worth buying two from a DIY store in case you need it they will always refund if not required.

Freeze and whack a new stopcock in, just forget the old one.

Last tip, heaven forbid if it all goes to hell in a hand cart and water is gushing everywhere a few thumps with a hammer will flatten the copper pipe and give you time to ring a plumber!! ;)

The street stopcock is there for the water supplier and not for you to use as a stopcock because yours is faulty!

Some can be fairly helpful but others don't want to know!

The correct solution is for you to fit one just inside your boundary. That can usually be done with a little water flowing through when the pavement one is passing.

Then you can play about with the pipes inside at your leisure!

Tony

the freezing solution is a good one thanks , just did't want to spend the cash there exp.
its not lead i already knocked all the plaster off but my supply comes from next door. so i might ask if they have a isolation vale to my house.
just don't what them to shut me off!! if we every fall out. lol

Sponsored Links
what should i say to the water board about the broken shut off valve out side the property. ?
just say a plumber dose not what to do the pipes until its working.
what do you think

Well that fact that the supply comes from next door isn't the best. Need to find out if they have access to a stop cock that could shut your water off, if so then that needs to be sorted out.
I'd just phone your supplier and ask them if they would come and have a look at the outside stopcock as you wish to alter pipes before your private stopcock but your plumber can't shut off the water, they'll soon tell you if they have an issue with doing that or not. Up here Scottish Water board were out next day and repaired jammed stop cock without issue.

This from Citizens advice bureau site.

What is the water company responsible for?

The water company is responsible for the water mains in the ground and usually for the communication pipe. This is the part of the service pipe leading up to your property boundary from the mains.

Outside stop valves are usually the property of the water company and should be maintained by them. Unless there is an emergency leak at your property, the water company may charge you a fee to fix the outside stop valve if you insist on having it repaired quickly.

The CA advice is not always very accurate but that is not badly stated.

Only problem is that there is so much variation between different water suppliers.

In London I have encountered people told they will have to wait six weeks and others who have had it done same or next day! Both from Thames Water!

One was done within two hours when there was an uncontrolled leak flooding the bathroom and kitchen!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back