Moving Stop Cock - No External Stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im wanting to move my stopcock into a new extention where the kitchen will be. But we dont Have an extenal stop cock. Outside the House we have a water hatch but it just has 2 pipes. ones mine ones my neighbours. When i asked for a meter outide it was refused on the grounds they didnt know whos pipe was whos.

We will be digging up the whole of the front of the house wo will likley find the mains water pipe.

Will it be possible to get an external stop cock fitted then. Im guesing that would be the job of the water company?
If we cant get an external stop cock fitted, what are our options for moving the internal stop cock and water inlett location.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Refused on whos pipe is whos, tell them to turn your tap on and use a listening rod to determine which pipe is flowing

Sponsored Links
Theyre both plastic.
I originally argued the toss with the water company, as i was happy for a meter just not inside, and suggested they added a stop cock outside and a meter. They agreed but when turning up to do it and looking at my water square on my driveway and they saw the two pipes they just refused there and then.
This was a couple of years ago. Now im ready for an extention i need the stopcock moved either to under the new sink or idealy outside. The infeed at the moment comes up through soild concrete floor to the stopcock under the sink.

Wow.... I was expecting this to be a right faff. Does this mean i=I technically dont have to get the water company involved and can do all of this with a standard domestic plumber?

Stopcock.jpg

There MUST be an external stop tap, you just haven't found it yet!

There's no way you have a connection direct to the street main with no stop tap!

There really is not. The house is a 1980s build. Built on a concrete pad base. With the kitchen being located at the back of the property. Like i said there is a water inspection square on the driveway that houses 2 plastic pipes. The neighbour Semi with the same house design, has a water inspection square on their front lawn, but with one pipe. Both have stopcocks under the sink with the main water inlet supply apearing from under the concrete pad to under the sink where the stop cock is. Turn this off and it turns the whole house supply off.

We had the water company trying to fit meters a couple of years back who confirmed it was located under the sink.

If your neighbour has a stop tap in their front lawn yours is probably buried in your garden!
Get on to your water supplier and tell them you need the outside stop tap finding/clearing it is their responsibility to maintain it and even clear it if filled with soil or rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back