Stop cock pipe full of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had to turn off the external stop cock tap to fix a leak; then turned it back on after we finished works. But I noticed the deep pipe where the stop cock is, is now full of water. Is this normal? Have we broken it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it. Was the water noticed whilst turning it back on or some time later ?

I noticed the water when I went to turn it back on. So it flooded while we were working on the leak. We were able to turn it back on, and all seems to be ok in the house wrt water supply... except the pit is full of water.

I just drained water off as much as I could with a plastic cup, and will check again tomorrow, see if it the level raises again.

Sponsored Links
Outside toby's that haven't been used in a long time can start to weep when used again. Some of them stop over time and then the chamber just drains away, if it start flooding out over the top then call your water transporter.

Some service stop valves are designed to self-drain when turned off. Sounds like yours may be one of them.

Unless water seeps out of top of boundary box ignore it, if it does act dumb and report to water company although they have more pressing things to attend to than minor leaks on service valves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back