broken stopcock !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the weekend was fitting new bathroom taps, and as I turned off my very tight stopcock, the bar on the end of the tap spindle snapped off (Merd !!) :(

So my question is as my main water feed is lead pipe (with approx 1 inch of lead above my kitchen floor) and I ain’t a plumber. Should I get a pro (plumber, not a lady of the night !!! :evil: ) in to replace it or (as I have heard mentioned on here before) just add a new stopcock after the existing one.

If I were to add a new one after the old one, what are the chances of the old one failing as I suspect it is as old as the house (approx 1950 build).

Also I have heard much talk of replacing old lead pipes with new plastic ones. We are in a hard water area and I am informed the lime build-up helps protect us from the nasty lead poisoning. Is a complete replacement really necessary? Surely if the lead content is high the water board should have to fit new pipes, or at least pay for some of it if it is compulsory (rather than a just-in-case replacement).

As my kitchen floor is concrete, if a new inlet pipe were to be laid, how would it enter the property? Would a diagonal hole through the floor and footings be sufficient?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Yes you can add a stop cock after the original. When at stop cock is used people always open them up fully (esp on old ones) they should always be fully opened with a 1/4 turn back.

Yes i advise you do replace the lead pipes (ITS LEAD!!) and not good for you - water board wont care as it in your property and nothing to do with them.

Two ways to run new pipe
1. Dig the floor and run new pipes through the concrete make sure that the new pipe is insulated as concrete is corrosive. (if copper used)

2. Run external pipe work and box it in.

Water supplier WILL replace the lead pipe free up to your stop cock IF plumbosolvency is high in your area, and you remove all the lead from inside the house. If you have hard water, it won't be.

I recently replaced a lead pipe with plastic and there are requirements to be met. The pipe had to be 750 mm below ground, it had to be laid on soft material or in a duct. Entering the property it has to be in a 4 in ducting and insulated with armaflex ( not the bog standard stuff)and it had to be inspected by the water company before they would make the connection.
Best to contact your water authority.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
is there not another e in merde :?: N`est ce pas ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back