OLD StopCock on LEAD Pipe - Merchant says they no longer to the stop cock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The kitchen is being refurbished (plumber is fitting a new boiler) and the plumber doesn’t want to really touch the stopcock on lead pipe, but I’m insisting it is. He said to get the parts and he’ll do it. But I went into the plumbing merchant and they said they don’t do the Stop cocks for that size now. And that we should use a lead lock below the joint, attach new 15mm pipe work, followed by a 15mm stopcock.

Does this sound like a plan? The attached lead pipe sample was from further up which went into the bathroom. I am uneasy with leaving it as is because it is so old! Replacing it entirely with non lead plastic pipe is also no longer an option as the pipework is fed from underneath the other side of the house.

Thanks for the advice.
lead pipe diameter.png
mains.stopcock.JPG

Sponsored Links
That's normally how it's done these days. You may find an older plumber who is able to wipe a joint.

the plumber doesn’t want to really touch the stopcock

I don't blame him. Horrible access, potential for f-up large.

The attached lead pipe sample was from further up which went into the bathroom. I am uneasy with leaving it as is because it is so old! Replacing it entirely with non lead plastic pipe is also no longer an option as the pipework is fed from underneath the other side of the house.

But you're not uneasy about leaving the buried section?

Sponsored Links
Replacing it entirely with non lead plastic pipe is also no longer an option

Yes it is.

As you'll find if you get a leak in the old pipe.

The new one does not have to follow the same route.

Ps tell the plumber not to be a pussy !

Leave the old stopcock in position and fit the new one higher up.

You can then re plumb from the new stop tap in copper or plastic ..........always run the cold tap fir a couple of minutes in the morning before filling the kettle !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back