Stop cock and polypipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I need some help!
I have bought an old property terraced house and the stop cock in my front path is leaking i have turned the one off in the public path and want to renew with blue poly pipe through to the kitchen then have the stopcock there, the water board want to charge me between £200 and £400 to connect to the main stop cock in the public path.
Should i forget that and put new stop cock in and run new polypipe from there as the old is lead and no good.also should the blue pipe underground be insulated with armaflex or is that just for copper?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your replacing an existing LEAD water main the water authority usually connect free of charge (north west area) You need to dig the trench and lay the pipe, get it inspected and they do there bit and connect.
25mm MDPE water pipe not polypipe thats something else.

Sorry yes it is mdpe pipe.
The water people want to charge £47 to inspect it if it is ok or not ok and then £200-£400 to connect to their stopcock in the street. yes it will be .75m but only .3m when it enters the house as the current one is.
Thanks lads

Sponsored Links
Its a lot of money for what they are doing and what i dont understand is its there DUTY to remove Lead from the drinking water supply

yes thats exacly what i thought.
So what do you think i should do about it?
Just replace the existing stop cock and connect the mpde from there?just means ill have 3 foot of the old pipe left under the path.
Is there any law against me changing my stopcock on my path?
Thanks

No none at all. Its your property you dont need to involve them. I would make further enquiries thow before digging everthing up to see why they wont replace there little bit of pipe.

Great thanks i might give them a ring again and ask why they are going to charge that amount.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back